1961 Schwinn 24" double straight bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bike that I restored for my girlfreinds birthday present... It's 1961 24" Schwinn Tornado double straight bar.
I had the frame & fork powder coated in a sparkle pearl white, & the wheels in red. I had all the original Schwinn parts re-chromed (including the hubs & every last nut & bolt) I also re-laced the wheels myself with stainless steel spokes. I even used NOS Schwinn tires for the S7 wheels. I still have to find a 'Tornado' decal for the chain guard. Any ideas where to look???
I hope you guys like it.
vmbjens61.jpg

vmbjens612.jpg

vmbjens613.jpg

I havent been able to find a tornado decal yet and I have beenlooking for a while. If I get a good picture of a chainguard though I can recreate it and you can take it to a sticker shop to have one made

skillsthebarber said:
I havent been able to find a tornado decal yet and I have beenlooking for a while. If I get a good picture of a chainguard though I can recreate it and you can take it to a sticker shop to have one made

Here's the only pic I have of the chainguard before I restored it...
jenstornado.jpg

nice job, i really like the white paint. i think it's a typhoon, not a tornado. the typhoons had the twin straight bars that curved into the seat stays.

sweet little cruiser !,looks clean,love those frames....good choice of colors. 8)

Bicyclerick said:
Heres apicture of the chainguard on my 59

Yes... your's has a big head badge from the 1950's & has the straight bars separate from the seat stays. (mine has a small 1960's head badge) I also have a 20" Tornado with a big head badge & the same frame style as yours. (straight bars separate from the chain stays.)
I'll check the numbers on the 20" & see what year it was made & post back.

Venice Motor Bikes said:
Bicyclerick said:
Heres apicture of the chainguard on my 59

Yes... your's has a big head badge from the 1950's & has the straight bars separate from the seat stays. (mine has a small 1960's head badge) I also have a 20" Tornado with a big head badge & the same frame style as yours. (straight bars separate from the chain stays.)
I'll check the numbers on the 20" & see what year it was made & post back.
still think you have a typhoon there :wink: is it a late year serial number?

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961 ... rnado.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961 ... phoon.html

do you have a picture of the 20" tornado?

If it had 26" wheels I would agree that its a typhoon but with the 24" wheels I dont know, What I do know is that it turned out very nice.

Bicyclerick said:
If it had 26" wheels I would agree that its a typhoon but with the 24" wheels I dont know, What I do know is that it turned out very nice.
i agree, it is very nice. i'm no expert, just chiming in with my opinion. i'm really digging yours too, rick, i've always loved the double straightbars, i have two tornados myself.

A little late getting to this post, but Schwinn confused many with their two double straight bar designs! The style where the bars don't continue into the rear stays was the first design. The second, while most often seen on first year 62 Typhoons, I've seen several Tornados, Flying Stars, and even a couple Skippers with the second frame. And there were a very few Typhoons with the first design! Messes with your head! Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or eason to it, I think they just said "use that pile of frames over there..." at the factory! Tornado decals are on ebay, but since the model was only made in red, black, and blue, a black decal would have to be custom. Also the 24" graphic may be smaller than the 26". And last but not least, love the way it came out, sweet ride! -Adam

It's a TORNADO. Up to mid '61 the twin bars ended at the seat post but in late '61 Schwinn switched the Tornado frame to run the bars all the way to the dropouts to gear up for the new '62 Typhoons which took over the frame design for a one year only run. Love that frame design.

62complete.jpg

Fall.jpg

62Typhoonframe.jpg

Venice Motor Bikes said:
Here's some pics of my 7 year old son's 1961 20" Tornado... This bike's unrestored 100% factory original. (even the tires.) 8)
cl.jpg

cl2.jpg
awesome! i love that bike! my boy will be five this spring, and i'm going to build him a straightbar like that. too cool! 8)

Latest posts

Back