1962 AMF Roadmaster Skylark (Wait, what? Yet another Roadmaster?!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Yes, yet another Roadmaster i got!
This time it is a ladies bike and it is for a friend of mine, so i promise to finish this one soon :D
I had to use this chance, since it was sold in the Netherlands and not for too much money. The bike appears to be completely original, though i am not sure about the tires. Here is the photo i got from the seller.
$_86.JPG

So, quite a rare thing for Europe :) It was missing the kickstand, but they used to have Wald stands on from the factory, and by luck that was exactly what i had on my reproduction 1998 Roadmaster! Correct me if i am wrong on details.
IMG_5888.JPG

I see it is also missing the "Skylark" sticker on the chain guard, but apart from that seems to be complete! I'd be happy to hear your opinions on that, it's my firts AMF bike and i may be wrong.
IMG_5889.JPG

According to Philip Marshall's table M stands for 1962.
IMG_5890.jpg

So here is what i would have to do. Firstly i need to come up with a longer seatpost. A friend who is going to ride the bike is just a little too tall for the original quill post, so it seems i'd have to make one myself.
Secondly i need to fix the tank. I believe it is messed up a bit and missing a battery cage. I'd appreciate if someone can take a photo of what this tank should look like form inside, so i know how to restore it.
IMG_5887.JPG

Thanks everyone for your feedback and enjoy your day :)

In my search for a quill stem seat post for my Skyrider, I seen a couple "how to's" on making one. Basically you cut a the bottom of the donor seat post at an angle and then take the wedge and bolt from a quill stem and use them, after machining or filing down the wedge. Though, I ended up just finding one on eBay for my build...it's a shorter one but it'll do.

I also found this vid from RJ The Bike guy...bit of a starting point, if you do end up having to make one. I'm sure there's some info in this vid you could use.

In my search for a quill stem seat post for my Skyrider, I seen a couple "how to's" on making one. Basically you cut a the bottom of the donor seat post at an angle and then take the wedge and bolt from a quill stem and use them, after machining or filing down the wedge. Though, I ended up just finding one on eBay for my build...it's a shorter one but it'll do.

I also found this vid from RJ The Bike guy...bit of a starting point, if you do end up having to make one. I'm sure there's some info in this vid you could use.

Hi! Thanks for the comment!
Actually my problem is that i don't have a tube in the size i need available. The diameter of the AMF seat tube is 20,5mm, and it is just very hard to buy here in Europe. Smallest seatpost you can get is 22mm (7/8 inch), and if i buy just a normal tube i'd need to figure the way to attach the saddle on top, when the clamps i have are either 22 or 16mm. So far the only way i found to make it is to order a 22mm aluminium bar, then drill the hole through for the bolt, and then ask a friend of mine who has a lathe to cut most of the material off leaving most of the length in desired diameter of 20,5mm.

Latest posts

Back