1962 Schwinn Speedster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My dad has this Schwinn Speedster, and we dont know very much about it. Does anyone know anything about it?

4120059.jpg

4120060.jpg

4120061.jpg

4120062.jpg

4120063.jpg

4120064.jpg

4120066.jpg

We would love to know everything we can about it.
Thanks,
Duncan

What do you wanna know about it ?,,i think they made it from 59 to 62,,came single, two and three speed. I know it came black, blue and red for sure,,oh yea mint green

dont turn that bike into a rat rod,,keep it stock and ride it

Cool bike! I'd pull the fenders, flip the handle bars, or put apes on it, and call it good.

I cleaned up a 64 American, same color, for a family friend. It looked like yours, and cleaned up to shine very nicely, the original paint and chrome on Schwinns are very good if not scratched up too badly. 0000 Steel wool on the chrome and a light scrubbing of the painted surfaces with mild detergent and water, being careful of the decals, then a few layers of car wax, it shined more with each coat. The blue that someone painted on there may just scrub off, if not, I would try the steel wool just enough to take the blue off. The dents in the fenders can be gently tapped out, using a small hammer and something round to slowly and carefully work them out. The seat can be cleaned with a good scrubbing of soap and water also, the white trim and S is the outer layer, so be careful scrubbing them also.

pretty much all we know is the year, and that the things like the paint, forks, cranks, etc, is OG. With a little research, we found an old ad with the colors on it. but other than that, we dont know much. How much do you think its worth in the state its in now?

Cool 62' Schwinn! I have a 62' Schwinn American Heavy Duti (beefier wheels and seat) single speed that I just love. Its my first cruiser bike and the bike i've had/kept the longest. These bikes are the ledgendary Chicago built Schwinn bikes, the bikes that made Schwinns hey day in the 50's and 60's. Bullit-proof bikes that last forever. Hang onto it and ride it. :mrgreen:

are you tryin to sell it? they dont bring much on the west coast i have a green 61 speedster and people always offer me 20 bucks for it and all i did was put apes and a comfy seat on it. probably on ripoffs list you can get between 50 and 120 depending where you live. i have well over 1000 miles on my 61 speedster its a great bike

Somebody is interested in it, and we dont know what to ask for it. My dad paid around $250 for it, and we were going to ask maby $250 OBO.
We wanted to make shure that our price wasn't too low or too high.

Don't be offended please- I think you're about 2x too high on that and maybe 3x.

I have one of these, a red '60 that I got in a trade deal for $50 ish, and I haven't been able to stir up much interest. Yours is in comparable shape. Mine is less rusty but some kid added their own graphics and scratched words into the fenders...

The tires are a problem to find locally, though available online (26x1-3/4" S-7 tires)... with tubes, and shipping you're probably at almost $50 already. Your rims need a total restoration, looks like the chain is too rusty to ride, and I'd guess you have 4-5 hours of work to go through the bearings and so on to make this bike happy.

They all need this, and you can do the labor for free, but it will require your time and grease (both axle- and elbow-).

Then I'd address the blue paint or ink that's on it- the white graphics are all there and correct at least, but the blue is kind of strange. Hurts the value anyway. Try "Goof Off" graffiti/latex paint remover. Be VERY gentle on the chainguard- try somewhere else first. Then clean and maybe wax the whole frame, and it should start looking good.

Good enough to attract interest as a cool vintage cruiser bike- then it'll be worth... I dunno, $100-125? This is why none of us bike mechanics are rich...

BTW I see the pics are from Samba... is that a bus with no skin behind it? I've got a '70 myself.
Good luck!

NLCTVWguy- No offense taken at all. That's just how much my dad paid for it years ago. He mainly bought it to go with his '62 VW single cab, but he never got to fixing the bike before he sold the truck. Im new to the vintage bike scene, and I thought maby I should ask here before we threw out a number. The guy offered to trade a '69 delux headliner for it, and he had also offered some duel carbs that are like 300 bucks.
The tires are original, and have some tears in the side walls due to having flat tires for years, but there useable. Once we have time, we will work on it. We have a very hectic schedule so it won't be for awhile. And thanks for the waxing tip! I'll defiantly try that.

Thank you so much for all your help!

And yes, it's a T3 notchback wih no fenders. It is a customer's car that he's restoring. (my dad owns a vintage VW repair shop).

Very cool, not many Notches around. I sold my 71 about 2 years ago... it was a big project with a tremendous amount of rust repair to be done. But it was a complete documented car imported as European delivery, bought US-spec, with dealer A/C, fuel injection and a sunroof. I hated to part with it but I held onto it for almost 20 years and it was time for someone else to play with it. Good luck with yours, they're such cool cars. The European English-language owners manual shows 3 cars on the cover vs the two (Fastback and Squareback) on the US books... I kept that. :shock:

--Rob

duncan said:
NLCTVWguy- No offense taken at all. That's just how much my dad paid for it years ago. He mainly bought it to go with his '62 VW single cab, but he never got to fixing the bike before he sold the truck. Im new to the vintage bike scene, and I thought maby I should ask here before we threw out a number. The guy offered to trade a '69 delux headliner for it, and he had also offered some duel carbs that are like 300 bucks.
The tires are original, and have some tears in the side walls due to having flat tires for years, but there useable. Once we have time, we will work on it. We have a very hectic schedule so it won't be for awhile. And thanks for the waxing tip! I'll defiantly try that.

Thank you so much for all your help!

And yes, it's a T3 notchback wih no fenders. It is a customer's car that he's restoring. (my dad owns a vintage VW repair shop).

Hello, thought you might want to know you have a big badge middleweight speedster. Only offered in 59 & 60. Returned in 63 as a lightweight

Klocke62 said:
Hello, thought you might want to know you have a big badge middleweight speedster. Only offered in 59 & 60. Returned in 63 as a lightweight

I've got a '61 Speedster 24" middleweight with the big badge. Gary

Latest posts

Back