1968 Sears Screamer .... Spring has Sprung!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spring has finally sprung! :113:
After a loooooong drawn out winter I was really Jonesin' to get outside and play with some rust.
I bought this 68 Screamer a smidge over a year ago. I immediately parked it in my bike stable for safe keeping for a later date.

I plan to preserve ,and NOT restore, this beauty....

Here is what I have to work with......

As you all can see , it is certainly complete and original :praise:

I started the tear down and cleaning process..... Feels so good to be outside again!
I will clean up the original paint as best I can with rubbing compound and wax . I never like to strip and repaint ( not my style )
To me, preserving and showing it some love is all the " restoration" it needs.
Once the paint is cleaned up to " polished turd " status , and the chrome is polished, it'll have GOBS of character ( very much my style :crazy: )

The bare naked frame .... Paint is pretty smoked ( read: only original once! ) but after some lovin it'll shine....some :grin:

I set the frame off to the side for now, I threw some elbow grease into cleaning all the bearing and cups.
Everything is MADE IN USA in the bearing department..... 46 years of service and STILL perfect after cleaning ( Hear that China?!! )

The rear derailleur was kindda scuzzy ..... after some patient cleaning and scrubbing it looks pretty nice!

....before

....and after

I started to clean up the rear 5 speed cassette.... You want a good exercise in patience ? Clean a 46 year old boys muscle bike rear cassette covered in grease , grass , cob webs , dead spiders , and vines woven throughout.....

all cleaned up ( somehow I didn't get a before shot though )

I really quickly passed a greasy rag over the bike to knock off the scabs , didn't do anything with rubbing compound yet.
Already showing signs of life !

I still have a ton to do yet , packed everything in a box and cleaned up the garage floor.
That was all my 38 year old back could handle , crouched on the floor for 1 day :headbang:

5 hours today with Oldies crankin on the radio , grease , rust , and the smell of PB Blaster. The best way to spend a day off from work!

Stay tuned.....:thumbsup:

Awesome build man! Really glad to see it's not getting fresh paint. Can't wait to see more! :113:

Oldies cranking on the radio, huh? I bet it's Rock 102. Best station ever! I won some John Mellencamp tickets from them last week! :)

Thanks guys! :D

I'm really excited about this one. The bike has grown on me , the bars are certainly one of those love or hate things . They are really cool in my eyes !
How could you not love a dual rear brake setup too ?

Stay tuned kids ......

I have to go to work this afternoon , but I was able to play a little outside for 2 hours beforehand.
I grabbed the frame and a bucket to sit on. Here is a glimpse at my weapons of choice ;).

Before....

The only " power tool " on hand was the Cd player and tons of patience . It's a hobby so whats the hurry , right ? When you're in a hurry , it stops being fun , and more like " work" .......

After the rubbing compound ( before waxing ).....

Done......

I think it looks awesome!

If only this thing could only talk.....
Think of all the battle scars from all the drag races its probably been in....showboating to impress a crush, and dumping it right in front of her.... ghost riding.
It was certainly no trailer queen since day 1.... probably under a Christmas tree one morning and never parked until bedtime each night.........

Whelp, off to work now :confused:

Stay tuned.....

Today started out as a yucky rainy Sunday , so I got into a lazy/bored mode ....

....Then the sun came out and it turned out to be an absolutely perfect day to play :banana:

Grabbed the fork and started to disassemble it for cleaning... I could only partially take it apart because the fender is riveted in place. Because I am preserving ,and not restoring , I left the original rivet alone . Sooo, I just worked around it ....

The paint cleaned up pretty sweet! The chrome was a chore and a half to say the least!
A few pits and chips still remain... overall the finishes are in very respectable condition.
I am happy with the results :113:

2 hours outdoors tinkering while listening to The Beach Boys! A great day for sure!

You know, I've never been big on these bikes, even though I was a kid in the '70's. This is a really cool build, though. I love the "clean and reuse" approach -- it's what I did for my oldest girl's Stingray L'il Chik. And some of the features on this Screamer are just plain cool. (Not the handlebars, though. o_O lol )

Latest posts

Back