1969 Huffy Super Stock 'V' restoration: Complete!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
An RRB member posted this bike for sale. I didn't have the money to get it, but I told my friend and he bought it so I could restore it for him. The "before" pic shows a really nice bike, but it's really a 10 footer. You might say "That bike looks great!" and it did, from 10 feet away. But then you have to get closer. The seat had nasty stains, the chrome was wore out and pitted in a lot of places, and the frame...

CwHE96.jpg

Well, the frame led to the extent of restoration that was done. The initial plan was just a clean up and polishing. But when I got a closer look at the chrome I didn't think it would polish out to a really nice shine. Also, when I tore the bike down I could see the full extent of the paint damage on the frame.

cYgq8C.jpg

oPVJMH.jpg

Lhopnu.jpg

dAcdea.jpg

20DYev.jpg

Qo3Dt7.jpg

7YlVro.jpg

Is that mud??

bpzaiU.jpg

Other parts were pretty bad off as well. The spokes, as often the case, had no "life" in them and had rust. (The at least the outside of the rims were nice). And the flaming stack guard was rusted inside, and wore down, scratched and ugly on the other side. (at least it wasn't bent!)

W8oddc.jpg

Last edited:
Other damage included a bent fork tube. (I figured that out when I couldn't get the crown race off! It had bulged when it bent.)

C7yB23.jpg

Eam8Hp.jpg

And this bent brake.

yK7iQr.jpg

On to the restoration!

I attacked the parts with my polisher. I sent the guard and the sprocket off the chromer. I got new bars, a new front tire, new spokes, new head set and bottom bracket, and had a custom seat and tall sissy made. And then came the paint...

I stripped it...

CND5En.jpg

Primered...

5UGCHb.jpg

Mixed...

L1FiMq.jpg

Shot...

Q94DI8.jpg

W2DOkK.jpg

And faded!

V1Qtui.jpg

xLVkfK.jpg

ic0CbC.jpg

BAM!!

QnfgpK.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful job Crash! That paint is awesome. I have the same question as Jaxon how much to chrome the stack and who does your chroming?

WoW Crash !! You did a killer job on that bike. I like the Huffy tag on the seat too. Nice touch. How much does it cost to chrome a Stack guard?
Beautiful job Crash! That paint is awesome. I have the same question as Jaxon how much to chrome the stack and who does your chroming?
Thanks! I got the tag from Pete at Hyperformance. He was selling them on Ebay. I think I bought him out. (I bought 2).
My chrome shop in town charged me $110. But I didn't catch him on a good day. He's fickle and moody.

Had same vintage "Holiday" branded bike in 69. Mine was 20" tho. came with 16" front wheel - so cool! Nice to see this restored!

Other damage included a bent fork tube. (I figured that out when I couldn't get the crown race off! It had bulged when it bent.)

C7yB23.jpg

Eam8Hp.jpg

And this bent brake.

yK7iQr.jpg

On to the restoration!

I attacked the parts with my polisher. I sent the guard and the sprocket off the chromer. I got new bars, a new front tire, new spokes, new head set and bottom bracket, and had a custom seat and tall sissy made. And then came the paint...

I stripped it...

CND5En.jpg

Primered...

5UGCHb.jpg

Mixed...

L1FiMq.jpg

Shot...

Q94DI8.jpg

W2DOkK.jpg

And faded!

V1Qtui.jpg

xLVkfK.jpg

ic0CbC.jpg

BAM!!

QnfgpK.jpg
Holy smokes Crash....that's a "BAM" if I ever saw one! Smokin'!

Latest posts

Back