1977 Huffy Thunder Road #56 MX banana

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a Huffy Thunder Road today. Not sure if I want to flip it, get what's missing to make it original, or hot rod it a bit with a Murry 5 speed 20" BMX wheelset. But it is pretty cool!

Dig that factory 24" fork they came with.

The only things missing on the bike that I can see is the front # plate. A proper sissy bar. (Check out the use of tent poles!) Reflectors. And obviously the tires aren't quite right.

The seat is sweet and very comfy, which makes me want to use it on another bike.

I am so indecisive when I pick up a new find. Do y'all feel the same? This is prime Rat rod material here. And I have to say with these original bars it isn't that comfortable for an adult to ride, cause you gotta tilt them forward and these are designed to tilt back for sure!

IMG_6071.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6073.jpg

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

Re: 1977 Huffy Thunder Road #54 MX banana

That's really cool :D Where did ya find something like that if you don't mind me asking?

Found it at the Hadley Flea Market this morning. Most times that market is a bust or too expensive for the vintage stuff, but this worked out! Granted I've put a few hours of clean-up into it since I bought it.

Looks like I might be swapping this thing tomorrow morning for some minty columbia 3-speed muscle. (Parts for my wife's muscle bike. She puts up with a lot of my bikeness and deserves some upgrades to her bike! ) But this will be the first bike I have let go of since I've joined this forum! And I gotta tell you it is hard!

At least I will have the photos to remember it by! :cry:

That's me...I collect photos of my bikes instead of the actual bikes...ha ha! :lol:

Rat Rod said:
That's me...I collect photos of my bikes instead of the actual bikes...ha ha! :lol:

There is something to that that I should embrace more! It is like catching a great fish, taking a photo and tossing it back in the water. This is a MX cross over bike but you and I both own about the ultimate MX bike IMHO and that is the Yamaha Motobike. So I would rather put money into that than this.

(BTW I don't know if you've been following them on ebay this last month, but one sold for over $800, another for $600.)

Anyway I can already tell the mileage this trade will get me with the wife is totally worth saying goodbye to it!

Lavagasm said:
Oh man that bike is so sick! It's a shame you're getting rid of it.

I hear you. It stung a little for sure. But the new owner is a die hard classic BMX guy. He will take great care of it. He said his neighbor had one when he was a kid, and they would jump together! His brother had another type of early BMX that he is hunting for to get the 'band back together' so to speak.

I got a load of stuff for it though!

That was my first bike of my own!!! Santa brought it....and Christmas was so warm that year....that I spend the entire day riding it!!! I rode that thing till it was .... near dead! I know my Dad had to put reinforced sissy bars on it as I got bigger....because the standard ones were pretty flimsy. Went from that to a 10 speed in 6th grade.... Really miss my Huffy!

Latest posts

Back