1978 Sears Screamer MX restored

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's one you won't see everyday. A genuine Sears Screamer MX bike, I had one of these back in 1978 when I was a teenager. Put the finishing touches on the restoration last night. More detailed pictures to follow when it quits raining around here.

More pictures.
my2ndscreamer045_zps2a560857.jpg

my2ndscreamer041_zpsbdbebc75.jpg

my2ndscreamer029_zps79eb3aba.jpg

my2ndscreamer034_zpsd7409b91.jpg

my2ndscreamer030_zpsd5fdf8bf.jpg

my2ndscreamer037_zps876e2822.jpg

Looks awesome! Give us a run down on what you did to restore it.

Thanks. Well, this is what I started with. I stripped the old paint off the forks, bars and frame. I had the forks, bars, kickstand and crank powder coated satin black. I had the frame powder coated RAL 1023 yellow, matching the original color. (Pictures make the frame look more yellow than it actually is.) I soaked the cad & zinc plated parts briefly in Evaporust. Chrome polished the rims. Washed the tires then sprayed with Armor All Tire Foam. Found NOS Hunt Wilde grips, correct appearing pedals, handlebar pad and all reflectors on ebay. I had an original SCREAMER sticker from when I had my first bike like this, so I had that scanned and reproduced. The bike came with the original fork and gusset stickers. I drew the gusset, chain guard and fork stickers by hand in actual size for my decal guy to work from.
2nd78screamer03_zpsfa809013.jpg

2nd78screamer07_zpsc4f30065.jpg

2nd78screamer12_zpsde89e6ed.jpg

78catalog2a.jpg

That came out awesome!!! Glad you finally found one. That would have looked cool next to Jaxon's Knievel bike.

Latest posts

Back