1980 Collegiate 3 Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattJP said:
Gold Street Customs said:
I went my local Home Depot to purchase some wood bleach.....and since I am in California :( everything that works good they take it off the market they had some universal deck clean/bubble bath junk they were trying to sell me .......so the search continues :x
I've been using a vinegar bath for rust removal. Outside of the smell, it's been working pretty good.

I've not tried vinegar...Started to polish the spokes...Got the fork on...Pics and more progress soon!! :wink:

Right now I have mine soaking in some liquid wood cleaner water mix , I looked this morning and rust was just floating arond the parts, I also seen the results of vinegar at the bmx museum (wow) I also have a gallon of that to try, your supposed to at a teaspoon of baking soda to speed up the process,your supposed to be able to reuse it :shock:

Cool! With the oxaclic acid, I use a small plastic brush to take the dissolved rust off-and WEAR GlOVES-

Hey, what going on with this one, are you still cutting grass?

Actually, I finished mine finally (still have to get it shifting correctly) but all I have is before and after pics.
Rather than hi-jack your thread I'll prolly start a new one.

Keep updating!

Thanks Drabe!! Man! It's been crazy around here! :? I've been buyin' bikes, sellin' bikes...and not enough time spent on the Collegiate! :( It's still in progress...Hopefully I can get back to it soon!! :mrgreen:

bikeriderx said:
Thanks Drabe!! Man! It's been crazy around here! :? I've been buyin' bikes, sellin' bikes...and not enough time spent on the Collegiate! :( It's still in progress...Hopefully I can get back to it soon!! :mrgreen:

Same here, in the few short months that I've been back into bikes, my garage is bulging at the seams!
Here's a link to my restoration, hopefully it'll inspire you to finish yours (yours inspired me to finish mine!)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21093

Well....Since I'm fully involved in the "Anything Goes" Build-Off...Here are some pics to keep your intrest untill I can get back to the Collegiate this winter.... :| It's a beautiful day on Michigan's Great Southwest Coast...

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Later...

Dizamn!!
Man, that's looking great!
Did you 'go into' the rear hub or just do a 'cosmetic' restoration?
I went the lazy way myself, but since I can't seem to get it adjusted properly, I'm thinking I may have to blow it apart and do it the 'right way'.
Anyway, your's is cleaning up real nice though.

When I first got the bike, it didn't shift very well. But I printed off the O & M manual from this thread on RRB:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1162
Then I added some oil, and adjusted the cable and it worked perfectly! Maybe this winter I'll open it up...? Thanks to oxalic acid all the chrome turned out real nice!! If my paint job on my Build-Off bike goes well, I'll probably re-paint this one, too. The pics hide a lot...Either way it's gonna look nice this spring!
Later,

Wow! It's beenaloooong time since I did any work on this one! :roll: But I've decided I need to sell a few, and this one is #1 on the list...So here's what I got done lately:
IMG_1418.jpg

I serviced the front wheel bearings and detailed the hub:
Before:
IMG_1428.jpg

After:
IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

I was surprised to find that the bearing cages were plastic...

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Nice...
IMG_1429.jpg

I was going to mount the tires/tubes...BUT...No rim strips!! :x So I placed a parts order with Niagara Cycle and took care of that problem. So not much more progress for now...

A little more progress...

IMG_1870.jpg

Got tires/tubes on...Crank bearings serviced/installed...NOS Wald pedals...New chain...Started detailing the brake calipers...

IMG_1871.jpg

Oops...I just noticed I put the master link clip on the wrong way... :oops:

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Before:

IMG_1868.jpg

After:

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

I might actually get this done! :roll:

I know this post is at least close to 3 Yrs old but we never got to see the finished product
or what the was the final mix and time alotments for soaking of the parts in the wood bleach?
I'm going to restore a 1970 Schwinn Suburban to either a coaster brake Racer or a Three spd speedster
with 700c x 40mm rims & tires from a Doner Union Flyer by Gran Royale, need all tyhe info you can share.
Thanks!............ If yer still out there???

truckd said:
I know this post is at least close to 3 Yrs old but we never got to see the finished product
or what the was the final mix and time alotments for soaking of the parts in the wood bleach?
I'm going to restore a 1970 Schwinn Suburban to either a coaster brake Racer or a Three spd speedster
with 700c x 40mm rims & tires from a Doner Union Flyer by Gran Royale, need all tyhe info you can share.
Thanks!............ If yer still out there???

Id sorta like to see too :wink:

Latest posts

Back