1980 Collegiate 3 Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stumbled on this thread today (just joined up yesterday).
I'll be in the process of doing the same thing to the exact same bike (mines black though) later this week.
I just picked it up (along with a Columbia 'Sport' 3 speed) the past weekend at an estate sale, completely original and in great shape.
I don't think I'll blow mine apart to the extent you have. I was just going to put new tires, tubes and clean and polish.
These are my first skinny tire/multi speed bikes and I wouldn't normally give a second glance but these were too nice to pass up.

That acid thing should really cut down on scrubbing with 0000 steel wool (the method I'm currently using), I may have to try it myself.
Where did you get this acid (HD or Lowes?) and can you take a pic of the package/bottle?
I wonder how long a batch 'keeps' or lasts, does it loose it's strenght over time?

your parts are looking great. i love the oa baths. i usually pull the parts out every couple of hours, and brush the rust off with a lite scotchbrite pad or sponge and then drop them back in.
drabe, i buy mine at the local hardware store in crystal form. it's called savograns wood bleach. i know people also buy the liquid acid at home depot.
here's a pic of a schwinn s2 i cleaned up.
P1030701.jpg

P1030702.jpg

drabe said:
I'll be in the process of doing the same thing to the exact same bike (mines black though) later this week...
I don't think I'll blow mine apart to the extent you have. I was just going to put new tires, tubes and clean and polish.
Where did you get this acid (HD or Lowes?) and can you take a pic of the package/bottle?
I wonder how long a **** 'keeps' or lasts, does it loose it's strenght over time?
Cool! I've not seen a black one. Post a pic! :mrgreen: I would really, really urge you to at least disassemble and check the crank bearings and headset bearings. The bearings on mine were completely dry! :shock: Here is a pic of the package:
IMG_0788.jpg

I could only find it at Ace Hardware. I've been using this "b@tch" since Sunday (8/30), I guess...I did 3 sets of handlebars last night and I had to add some more water to cover them, so I added more o.a. crystals. I'll post pics and details later this afternoon...

when parts rise above the water line, i displace some of the water by filling empty milk containers and placing them in the tub i use. i keep my batches going for a few weeks at a time.

Cool! I've not seen a black one. Post a pic! :mrgreen: I would really, really urge you to at least disassemble and check the crank bearings and headset bearings. The bearings on mine were completely dry! :shock:

Cool, thanks for the details!
I've got some before pics but haven't brought them to work to load yet.
Your right though, I'll probably take it down further when I get to it (I haven't even 'dated' it yet), I'm in the middle of another bike right now.

Ok...So here's what I started out to get done last night:
IMG_0760.jpg

The handlebars as they were:
IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Not bad...Surface rust...SO they went in around six pm. But then I figured that I may as well toss in a couple of other bars I had laying around. So these went into the stew:
IMG_0764.jpg

This one will be a good test:
IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Lots of surface rust...

So in they go:
IMG_0768.jpg

I had to add another gallon of water to cover 'em as much as I did. My pal at work thought that it would be a better idea to let the solution get inside the bars...He's probably right. Next time...At 9:00 I pulled the Collegiate bars, and the other set out. Rinsed, blasted with compressed air and dried with a towel. I left the real rusty bars soak. At about ten I got the last one out...
IMG_0785.jpg

Collegiate bars:
IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Well I didn't get much else done...I'm starting to like this stuff! :mrgreen:

Markm said:
looks good...any fumes while stuff is soaking?
Thanks! No. Not really...If you git yer snout right down there, like when you're brushing/wiping the loosened rust off...It smells like, well...acid... :lol: But otherwise none at all in the room/space...

I had a long Labor Day weekend :mrgreen: And managed to get a little more done...This one's cleanin' up real nice:

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

The spokes still need to be polished...But I'm getting closer to starting the re-assembly...

cman said:
This thread just sold me on O.A. Need to get some.
I was VERY skeptical when my pal told me about this stuff...But now I'm HOOKED :lol: I am already planing to spend the winter dipping everything I can!! :mrgreen:

drabe said:
It's looking great so far, keep up the posts!
I will! But I'm on the cusp of a dilema...To paint or not to paint...? I guess I'm gonna have to put it all back together and see how it looks... :?

Don't paint. The paint looks to be in good shape. That red is so deep and hard to replace.

cman said:
Don't paint. The paint looks to be in good shape. That red is so deep and hard to replace.
Thanks Clancy. Here is why I'm even considering re-painting:
IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

:?

Well here's the answer to the question of what color?
1980_20.jpg

"Cardinal Red"...Hmmmm...Maybe I DON'T have the OEM saddle after all?

"Hmmmm...Maybe I DON'T have the OEM saddle after all?"
I do...and a 1980 Collegiate owners manual... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: you can pick it up Sat. :D :D

Markm said:
"Hmmmm...Maybe I DON'T have the OEM saddle after all?"
I do...and a 1980 Collegiate owners manual... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: you can pick it up Sat. :D :D
NO WAY!!! :shock: :shock: DUDE! I don't know what to say...Thanks!! :D :D :D

deorman: your brain cells can't be much older than mine...! :p

Latest posts

Back