1980 S&S BMX Cruiser-Better pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw this bike on the back of an RV on the way home from work a few days ago. Saw a guy sitting outside of it today, so I stopped and asked if it was for sale. His buddy came out, said he needed the cash to fix his rig. Gave me a price and I had the cash in hand. I thought it was a Laguna at first glance, but after browsing bmxmuseum.com, I'm pretty confident it's an S&S. Nice blue anno Araya's, ACS front hub, Bendix coaster rear, Schwinn Typhoon cord tires, Tuf Neck seat post clamp, Sugino Tourney 3pc cranks, KKT Lightning pedals. The bad part is the damage on the down tube by the BB shell, but the parts alone are more than worth the price I paid. Might consider getting the frame fixed, not sure yet. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I'll post more later.
002-4.jpg

005-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

Re: 1980 S&S BMX Cruiser

Rat Rod said:
COWABUNGA :shock:

You failed to mention what price made it yours. :lol:

That was intentional. :D Let's just say I paid less than anything new at Walmart.

The down tube is totally rotted through. It is fixable, I'm just not sure if the cost of repair and refinishing (replacing the entire downtube and new chrome or powdercoat) is worth it.

I'd yank all of the blue anodized goodness off of that bike and put them on something else cool.

The wheel set alone is nice with no brake rub! :D

That's sick. You got so lucky.

As far as the bb / downtube issue goes... I have no idea how that could have happened! Did he give you any explanation?

It is fixable though, if you wanted to mess with it. I had an S&s frame with a split in the bb that I was able to repair really well.

I emailed pics to True Torch, one of our advertisers here, and they thought the same thing I did-It looks like moisture got inside the frame, and it rotted from the inside out. Their suggestion was to replace the entire down tube, and powdercoating it because it would come out better than rechroming. They gave me a quote, which I think is pretty fair price wise. For now, I think I'm just going to hang on to it as is. The wife likes it, and thinks I should repair it and keep it. :D

Love the blue rims........ Wait did you say the wife said keep and repair it?.... I don't know about the bike but, she's a keeper, all mine ever says is why do you bring all this junk sh** home with you. lol

the rot through the downtube was from where the guy cut the frame to get the lock off!!! :lol: man you scored on those parts for sure.Let me know if your gonna ditch the frame.Also if your gonna sell any of the parts,i could REALLY use that wheelset!!Im here in SOCAL too.

Nice parts on that bike and :shock: on that big rot in the down tube, I'm a newer on old bikes but the ones so far I have seen I haven't seen that before now at least on anything from the 70's & 80's bike.

Latest posts

Back