1980 SCHWINN SUPER LE TOUR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Bought this on the CL last night for $40.

Turns out the original owner was getting ready to retire and move to Austin so they were cleaning house. They were super friendly folks and were very glad to see it go to a Schwinn loving home. He told me he bought it from a bike shop in Kansas City back in 1980 and paid about $600 for it new.

I'm not really a road bike guy, but this one was just too cool to pass up. Compared to my other Schwinns it feels like a feather. It's going to be fun to give this the detail treatment and bring it back to life. I'm diggin the Rat Rod color scheme. :mrgreen:

100_3799.jpg

100_3801.jpg

100_3802.jpg

100_3797.jpg

100_3803.jpg

100_3804.jpg

100_3805.jpg

100_3812.jpg

100_3814.jpg

100_3815.jpg

100_3816.jpg

Super Le Tour, very nice! Top of the line Schwinn back in its day... Should clean up well!

Steel whool
Aluminum Polish
New seat
Wash and Wax

Craigslist sale( minimum sale Price will fetch yaa $500.00 )

that's a Beauty Ratrod,
It will Flip QUICK!.....or keep it, it's beautiful!

peace,
Kev.

Nice find. You're really going to like it.

btw, they're going for over 2 bills here in the sf bay area.
Schwinn Super Le Tour Road Bike - $240

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-06-10, 10:44PM PDT

large,1979?,lightweight lugged steel tubing, Shimano components,aluminum alloy wheels,drop handlebars, Made in Japan(Panasonic?)good condition

Here she is after a quick bath.

Plan to do something a little different with this one...white walls, toruing bars, only rear brakes. Note: ignore the cheapo seat...just for a test run.

Keepin' her lean and mean.

100_3817.jpg

100_3818.jpg

100_3819.jpg

100_3820.jpg

100_3821.jpg

ya know easy, I wasnt thinkin when I said that...probably drinkin...the brake shoes would wear right thru that!! :idea: :idea: Unless it was powdercoated! :idea: :idea: ...Lookin good ratrod!

Hey guys, I picked up one of these vintage Schwinn Le Tour bikes a couple weeks ago....and I'd like to move it on CL (I bought it and another Schwinn to flip)

Here's a pic of it:

VintySchwinns001.jpg

VintySchwinns002.jpg

VintySchwinns003.jpg

Any idea as to what this one might fetch?? I hate like heck that someone swapped the bars on it :oops: :cry: :roll:

Sorry Steve, not trying to hijack your thread :oops:

Brian

ya know easy, I wasnt thinkin when I said that...probably drinkin...the brake shoes would wear right thru that!!
True (happens with our Raleigh Chopper Rat, but hey, it's a rat...).
So then you'd need to make it a fix, without brakes....but then you'd not have all those nice gears.. Anyway, cool bike, will be nice to ride :D

A little more progress.

Just need to polish the snot out of these wheels and spokes.

Going to go with white walls too.

Saving up for some shiny black Freddy Fenders and plan to do some paint touch up.

100_3835.jpg

100_3832.jpg

100_3834.jpg

7017.jpg

Anybody know where I could find a set of silver aluminum touring handlebars like the chrome set I have on there now?

I got a set they weigh like 4 ounces.. I got mine at the flea market for 1 dollar

Rat Rod said:
Anybody know where I could find a set of silver aluminum touring handlebars like the chrome set I have on there now?
Depends on how much you want to spend :p Search for Nitto North Road bars. harriscyclery.com has them among others. Probably bikepartsusa.com too.

BTW nice score and cleanup. That is what I typically ride and look for in a bike.

Aaron 8)

Latest posts

Back