1980 Scrambler--- freshly built up yesterday....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So, I bought this frame from the LBS a l'il bit ago, ordered some goodies for it, and took the day off yesterday to do bike stuff. I bought a '71 Collegiate, complete minus Wheels, seat, and cables, and came home to find that the UPS Fairy had dropped a box off for me... the last of what I needed for this Scrambler.

Here's the only pic for now. Crappy cell-phone pic, but I'll take some better ones later.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3B%3B7%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E28488424%3A%3A259ot1lsi

I rode into work, and part of why I built a 20" was b/c I figure that's a cheap/rugged alternative to a folding bike for use on the train. Now, I don't usually take the train to work, but I pass the one stop on my way in, and I live 2 blocks from the other stop, so I ponied up $1.60 to take the train about 3 miles today.... then rode another 3 miles into the job. I'm lucky b/c I have about 3/4 miles of trails on my commute (depending on which route I take), so this reanimated Scrambler got to do some street, train, and dirt miles on it's first ride in its current configuration.

It's not easy being 5'11" and riding something like this any sort of distance, but it's fun and far more comfortable than I'd feared it'd be. I was really happy with how manageable it was on the train, in terms of taking up space. This might become my go-to ride for days when I ride the train into Phila; 26" bikes are a hassle if the train gets crowded.

Last edited:
Very cool. My dad bought me a Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 back in 79 or 80, I can't remember. It was metallic blue with yellow Skyway mags. The best part, I still have it. It's still in good condition but I plan on doing a complete restore and then I'm going to ride the snot out of it.

It looks great and you're a better man than me. I don't know if I could do a couple of miles on a 20" anymore and you can do six. I can imagine it's much easier to deal with on the train.

It looks great and you're a better man than me. I don't know if I could do a couple of miles on a 20" anymore and you can do six. I can imagine it's much easier to deal with on the train.
Ha. Thanks. :) To be fair, it was 3 miles on the train, then another 3 on streets/trails.... and 2 blocks at the beginning, to get to the train.

Now I just gotta get home on the thing. =P

Last edited:
Very cool. My dad bought me a Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 back in 79 or 80, I can't remember. It was metallic blue with yellow Skyway mags. The best part, I still have it. It's still in good condition but I plan on doing a complete restore and then I'm going to ride the snot out of it.
Hott. So cool that you still have it. The thing is, the Mags must've been an upgrade, even aftermarket or at the dealer prior to sale, b/c the 36/36 model was so-named b/c it had 36-spoke wheels front/back. You're really lucky or wise or both to have kept your childhood bike; I built this one b/c I always rode junk 20" when I was a kid (born in '77), but I always wanted a Schwinn Scrambler or Predator when I was growing up. Still, I'd trade it in a second for a chance to be reunited with any of my childhood bikes, even if they were Huffies. I had a Peugeot BMX bike that I thought was the best thing ever (got stolen); wish I could get that back....

Latest posts

Back