1981 Concord Demon BMX Original Survivor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dscn04435b25257e39_lg.jpg

dscn04505b25259d35_lg.jpg

dscn04555b2526c467_lg.jpg

dscn04365b2526861b_lg.jpg

dscn04375b2526a42a_lg.jpg

Original just as if you walked into a bike store back in 1981. The only unoriginal part is the ear correct vintage Kenda rear tire.
Most don't know this but BMX bikes have a larger front tire for reasons of steering. Rear tires were 20.175 and the Fronts were 20.2 and up. many people unknowing place the smaller tire up front thinking it is a hot rod automobile or something. Today BMX has went soft and front and rear tires are basically the same size today.
The wheels we called them "Super Spokes" on account of the heavy gauge spoke and heavy steel rims.

Cool lil loop tail.
We use to call those bubble rims back in the day .

Thank you on the bike! Really cool, Strange in the mid west (Chicago) we called them Super Spokes. I guess location has a rearing on terminology, when I hear the term bubble rims, I think of the Alloy Araya bubble rims 7b= 7 Bubble LOL just noticed that, anyways I think why the term super spoke stuck was because as the light alloy wheels started to take over and the heavy gauge spoke wheel became extinct, when they resurfaced here and there later in time; it was just easier to refer to them as super spoke no matter what the rim style was
"You just knew super spoke meant heavy as heck" LOL.
Just a generic term for wheel sets with heavy gauge spokes in general, and not really pinpointing the actual rim or hub design.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed with this Concord branding is people confuse this brand with the Dutch, Swiss brand Concorde and refer to this as being a Swiss bike.
Actually it is built in a manufacturing plant in Columbus Ohio, with a Giant manufacture date of G0281. I have also seen Schwinn with the exact same stamping on the drop out.
The pictures are of my red drop out with the Giant "G0281" and a Schwinn Scrambler drop out in metallic blue with the same manufacture date code from Giant. And an advert for A Concord with the location of interest.

Attachments

• DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 206
  • 34408930_2122951264400976_6016061150792253440_n.jpg
    34408930_2122951264400976_6016061150792253440_n.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    163.7 KB · Views: 216
A.S Boltnut you prolly know more about Schwinn than me, so can you put some info here on the G0281 I know it is Giant Feb. 1981 but the plant is Columbus Cycle, so why would Schwinn and Concord have a Giant designation instead of Columbus Cycle specific number? I know manufactures built frames for other companies etc. I just want some background is all. You would know better than me where the Schwinn was produced and by who. I mean did Giant have anything to do with the manufacturing or was Giant just the host, middle man, etc?

Your guess is as good as mine , I'd lean to the host , middle man theory , I really don't go that far into researching, now everything is on the "web" thers altot of fellas who portray themselves as knowing what they have just read. ?

I feel ya I try to find adverts and printed real catalogs/scans etc., and such to do my own research. I do know Schwinn moved from Chicago to ?? LOL that's just it, I don't know where they moved to or when they started having the frames built out of house is all, because I am not really into Schwinn. I assume the G0281 on both mean they were both built in the same manufacturing plant and at the same time of year. I just want to confirm where is all. I most likely will start searching Schwinn material and go from there. Thanks anyways. USA or Taiwan really is what I would like to know.
I do know Columbus Ohio is a huge bike manufacture city past and present.

I do kno the Original plant in Chicago burnt down in "83" just from memory and being in the bike game now for over 25 year , I kno a little and still learn things all the time but just as in anything else things get twisted and you can take the same wrttin word in any book and Have it read buy various individuals and come out with different understandings
This I know for sure.
Enjoy, Rafael

I understand 100. The Columbus and Dayton bike manufacturing plants might also have imported frames as well, so a simple advert really don't say to much as to where the item might have been manufactured, it is just a starting point for research is all. Thanks, enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Greenville? I wonder if the build date code of "G0281" on my drop out refers to (G) standing for Greenville Feb. 81, I wonder if the G is place of manufacture?
Good reading thank you.

Date codes on early Giant made Schwinn's follow your format...

Some Taiwanese (built by Giant) Schwinns have a date code (on the right rear axle hanger or on the bottom bracket shell) in the format 'Gmmyy' The letter "G" followed by a two-digit month code and two more digits for the production year

Jason

Last edited:
I figured it out with the help of many people Thank you and everyone else!!
G0281 Giant Taiwan Feb 1981 distributed by Columbus Cycle and Moped.

Latest posts

Back