1982 Mongoose Resto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my 82 Mongoose project. My aunt found this at an old house she bought to flip.

Here is what I started with. I pretty much kept all the original parts that were on the bike when I got it. The cranks were bent so I had to find replacements. The stem also appears to be a Rampar that is anodized gold but was pretty worn.

82.jpg

back.jpg

After striping all the parts off of it getting it ready for blasting.

OGframe.jpg

After blasting.

frame.jpg

Next came metallic teal powder coating.

GoosePowdered1.jpg

Quick mock up.

GoosePowdered.jpg

Starting to ad parts, BMX Products '82 resto decals and refinished the stem by stripping anodization, then polishing aluminum and after that powder coating a gold clear finish.

stem.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

82Mongoose.jpg

Some shots of it with Tuff IIs and Motocross tires.
Goose2.jpg

Goose.jpg

Tange and Siguno crank components cleaned up and or powdered.

tange.jpg

crank.jpg

Hanging with the KMX(Sold and on its way to the UK).

GooseKMX.jpg

That is where is sits as of now. I need to get some rat trap pedals and I have a chrome chain to install and black DiaCompe rear brake components.

i agree i ahd amongoose california i think it was called was a looptail frame and man what a sweet bike but i am partial to the blue one next to it as i used to race these types back in the day wha kind of fork does that blue one have? i like those they look good on the bike

The original fork was bent and seen here in the photo. So after looking at old photos of this era race bike I tried to find one similar in size and length. Actually it was a pretty long fork, long enought to fit a 26" wheel. So I got a fork from a 70's AMF 26" beach cruiser
LMC KMX.jpg

26" fork from AMF beach cruiser

KMX FORK.jpg

This is a photo of another KMX with its original fork and you can see the clearance with the 20" wheel.

KMX 66.jpg

Latest posts

Back