1982 Schwinn Predator update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking to build up an early 1980s BMX. I have the opportunity to pick up this 82 schwinn predator tomorrow. It's not my top choice, but the price fits my budget. I don't know a lot about BMX, is there anything I should be looking for when checking it out?

photo27-2.jpg
t

Thanks

Re: 1982 Schwinn help

A rider for sure, however I do want to dress it up a bit with some period correct bits. Maybe a blue or red theme. I don't have the funds for a show bike right now.

I am just to start on a project and my first ordered part was 2 sets of Kool-Stop Vans Brake pads. they got a bunch of colors. great accent parts.

Kool%20Stop%20VANS%20pads%20colors.jpg

Vans and 80s bmx...what could be better?

It's mine now. Need a head badge or I may pull the one off of my old varsity that I've been picking away at. The search starts for cool parts!

photo-7.jpg

Great pick up on the Predator. I think 82 is the first year of the predator. Originally had blue foil graphics I think. 83 started the black and green "night vision scope" style graphics. Looks to already some good parts too. Keep posting as you build. Love them old Schwinns.

Re: 1982 Schwinn Predator Correct Decals?

The only decal that came on the bike is the blue and white one on the seat tube. Does anyone know what the correct frame and fork decals would be? I've seen variations of the computer readout style graphics and the blue Cromo style.

Number on chain side dropout: G0682
Number on other dropout: 2158109

Thanks for the pic. I think I can put this together now. Mine is drilled for a schwinn head badge and the decal on the seat tube is different. I'm pretty sure now it should have the blue cromo decals.

Ape Stanger said:
Thanks for the pic. I think I can put this together now. Mine is drilled for a schwinn head badge and the decal on the seat tube is different. I'm pretty sure now it should have the blue cromo decals.

if its drilled for a head badge it might be a Phantom... :?

Re: 1982 Schwinn Predator Correct Decals? I think cromo.

These pics came from DoubleNickle's build. He has the same seat tube decal and a head badge:

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

photo-12.jpg

The one thing that has me baffled is the gusset. I haven't seen one yet that is welded all the way around like mine. Every pic I find has holes in the corners. Ugh!

Ape Stanger said:
Here is where I'm at with it so far. It's drilled for a head badge so I'm on the hunt for a nice white and red one.:

Dude! Disgusting! Can I steal your pic for my personal archives........I hope you say yes 'cause I stolded it! :oops:

@ilikebikes,
No problem. I'm flattered. I threw white MX1000 brakes on recently, but haven't set them up yet. Just waiting for a chain and a few other small parts to finish it up. I'll post pics as soon as its finished.

Latest posts

Back