1982 SCHWINN Sidewinder-Better pics 10-14

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started collecting a few items to get this back to looking new. I also started cleaning the the bike up. I can' t believe how good the parts are cleaning up. This may look almost new when I get done. My detailing hopefully will be up to Ratrod's standards. :wink:

Pick of the bike when purchased at the Boise Bike Project.

e18eb9c7.jpg

NOS grips

540c2302.jpg

NOS decals- still need the fork decals.

sidewinderdecal.jpg

Re: 1982 SCHWINN Sidewinder-Restore

Thanks to Jeremy(CCR) for reminding me to get this done. I was kinda scared to place the decals but turned out to be easy. The frame is clean and teardown was the easiest I have encountered. I should be able to start assembling the parts back into the frame. I am going to look for some new yellow cable housing and some new Kenda Knobbies. The original tires have some crack and should not be ridden.

Frame ready for decals.

IMAG0111.jpg

Decals in place on both sides.

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

NICE :D looks like the cruiser 5 wont be getting the gold rims after all :mrgreen:

CCR said:
NICE :D looks like the cruiser 5 wont be getting the gold rims after all :mrgreen:

It's just payback for our mid 70s temperatures down here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finally started assembly after cleaning the parts. I still need to cable and do the final detail/cleaning.

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Looks awesome...what's the plan, keep it or sell it?

Probalby wait till spring and try to sell it. I don't really need it and probably would not ride it. The Brooks will not be part of the deal. I found a nice black Viscount saddle similar to the one on the Mombat Sidewinder. I never thought I would try to restore a bike, but this was a nice easy one to start with.

I'd been looking for one of those for a long time in that color, I had to settle for this silver one that from the looks of it is all original.

DSC05109.jpg

Gashuffy, Nice bike. I wish I could find an original seat like yours.

Slowly I am getting this done. Skiing has been taking up a majority of my free time. I have been at the hill 2-3 times per week. :D :D

I ordered the Kenda K80 gumwalls that look similar to the original tires. I installed the new tires tonight (even cut off all the rubber nubbies). The bike even had it's original tubes. :shock: :shock:
IMG_20110125_191929.jpg

I rode it down to work then the BBP to get a new front brake bolt. It rides really nice. I would like to ride it more but I am afraid of rubbing those nice annodized rims too much.

IMAG0024.jpg

All it needs now is a gold ano set of Super Maxy cranks and a gold Tuff Neck stem. :wink:

Those new tires look awesome!

The new tires are nice and roll faster because the profile is rounder.

I took a couple of pictures with a good camera. Hopefully this finds a new home soon. :wink: :wink:

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Latest posts

Back