1984 Haro Sport- survivor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best flea market score EVER for me! Got it for a song. I could not believe it when I saw it. I didn't have enough cash and had to leave it to find an ATM. The drive back was maddening, I was sure it was gone. Every grandma in the world was driving in front of me. ARRRGH!!! But there it was when I got back and I jumped on it. Two guys approached me after. "So hey, do you know much about that bike?"

"I know a bit about it." I replied.

Story goes the owner somehow got this from Pepsi BITD. I have no idea how the connection was made. A contest perhaps? I need to dig more. This looks totally original down to the reflectors. I mean c'mon, what kid didn't take off the reflectors of a freakin Haro Sport? The only unusual bit I can tell is that it has a suntour coaster brake hub in the rear ACS z wheel. I woulda thought it was a freewheel to match the suzue up front?

Did these ACS wheels come on these sometime? I've see a few with them.

As found:
IMG_2736.jpg

Elbow grease later:
IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

And a parting shot with sunrays to sum up the score!
IMG_2777.jpg

Anyone know the value on this puppy? It is far from nos but is a survivor and the pedals and grips are barely mangled.

Re: 1985 Haro Sport

Nice score! I would love to own that one!

Don't know if the coaster was original or not, but it was common in the day for freestyle guys to use.

Danimal said:
Nice score! I would love to own that one!

Don't know if the coaster was original or not, but it was common in the day for freestyle guys to use.

X2 on the coaster brake, most guys in freestyle ran a CB back then. Its cool to see the brake arm tab welded to the top of the chain stay.

Did some digging and it looks like this is an 84, third gen. Not 85 as I'd thought.

I did not know that about freestyle guys runnin coaster brakes! That makes sense since so much about this bike looks untouched since the 80's.

I am usually 2 steps behind on deals like this. Once cl had an ad for a Hutch for $20. I was too late. Then earlier this week there was an ad for an 'old schwinn 10 speed' I clicked on it and it was a full chrome Paramount with all the campy bits! That is worth about a grand on a good day. I missed it too.

Glad to get the score this time!

Re: 1984 Haro Sport

Just read the specs on the original 84 Haro Sport, and this bike is all original down to the one rear brake, blue cable, ACS Z-rims, and it came stock with the Sun Coaster brake. The internet is so informative.
Having a coaster brake and a caliper brake seem a bit redundant, but then again I was never a good freestyler, so there must be a reason.

http://www.harofreestyler.com/84sportspec.html

Fisch said:
Just read the specs on the original 84 Haro Sport, and this bike is all original down to the one rear brake, blue cable, ACS Z-rims, and it came stock with the Sun Coaster brake. The internet is so informative.
Having a coaster brake and a caliper brake seem a bit redundant, but then again I was never a good freestyler, so there must be a reason.

http://www.harofreestyler.com/84sportspec.html

I sent you a PM

Oakley F1 grips, Dia-Compe brake and hinged seat post clamp, and Z-rims, should be worth a decent amount of coin. I'm surprised Steve hasn't chimed in yet!

Latest posts

Back