1986 Hutch XL24 cruiser. Parts ID help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG954243 (1).jpg

What we have is a circa 85-86 Hutch XL24. I am trying to decipher it's makeup as it is hitting the chopping block soon.

Please tell me if i am wrong or if any of this seems correct as there is NO definative Hutch directory or data available.

In my research the XL24 came as only a F/F combo at this time. However of the 3 large Hutch distributors at the time it was sold together in kits.
-higher end combos were given Redline 401 Flight cranks as OEM crank manufacturers weren't keepin up with Hutch demands.
-wheels were up to buyer and WesBMX sold most w GT based sets and several hoop choices.

What I want to also know is:
1-what type of seat tube was correct at that time. Hutch was pushing the drain pipe on freestyle stuff but I haven't seen any on BMX stuff, but I wonder if this is original on this setup.
2-what kind of seat post clamp is on this and
3-is it typical to have GT hubs and Araya rims on a Hutch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What I do know:
-original Hutch frame, fork, AND bars.
-401 Flights cranks w/bubble font chainring (180mm single pinch half wrap)
-Pro Neck 4 bolt gooseneck
-silver Odyssey triple traps
-polished Odyssey Pit Bull brakes

....more to come

Last edited:
I don't think those pitbulls would be part of its original build as they didn't come out until 1988. I think that Hutch is sporting Pitbull 2, so that would be after '88. I would guess that the seat clamp and guide would have been added with the brakes.

Jason

Kinda of my thinking too Jason, and thank you. Only questioned it as the guide is a bit different material/shine than the clamp itself.

And yes good catch as the brakes were in fact upgraded in 92.....

First washes......shiny like a diamond!!!!!!:inlove:
IMG_1382.JPG

unfortunately as much as I want to keep it, it is soon to hit the chopping block...:20:
IMG_1413.JPG

Wow...that is an eyeful. There are two 24" completes (one 2015, one pre-serial) and a frame/fork/bars '85 on bmxmuseum, currently, to help you set your price. I'm sure its too rich for me, but, feel free to PM what your asking.

Cool...cool...cool bike,
Jason

Pardon my ignorance.....I did see em. Seems the XL24 is a rare breed......

Wow.....not cheap either! I wonder if that's the place to try and sell it.....

So.....I am noticing these are all white no?.......except the 85....

I am.curious tho.....as the ones I saw on there that had a drainpipe.....are 82s and 83s.....

I may need to do more research....but having the frame, fork AND seatpost and bars seems to be a premium.....or I am just hoping! lol

Definitely a larger target audience for BMX stuff. You have to pay to join to list for sale, however...and, the locals are a lot more 'combative' then here on RRB.

I think there is a shift in Hutch prices right now. There was a worry all this 'new' Hutch stuff you can get on ebay would drive down the vintage Hutch prices. To me, it looks like the vintage stuff has gone up on asking prices (but, I don't know if it is actually selling).

Jason

Good point, everyone's on a budget.....

I wondered the same, however the ones I was peeking on prior....are not there anymore. I am not too big of a hurry yet but really want to move to the GT. But in fairness, no changes to the GT till I sell the Hutch as per the agreement w my brother lol.

Latest posts

Back