1987 Miyata Terra Runner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Miyata Terra Runner.jpg
Pic from the interwebs, what it should look like complete.
IMG_1943.JPG
What it looks like now minus wheels (26")
Original nice wheels are long gone. Roadmaster front wheel and Alex X-rims rear. Both have issues, front hub has broken race and loose wheel flops around.
IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG

Rear rim is out of true, was going to try to adjust spokes, but both wheels have Schwinn tires and Slime filled tubes, Uck!
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG
Most everything is Shimano Deore.
IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1946.JPG

Pretty paint job is a light purple metallic.

IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
Great frame. going to be totally gone thru.
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG

Would you believe this is a shift cable?

Looking thru my stash for better wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Love it! I was thinking of building some oldschool MTB on top high-end parts, but it's still out of my money reach. There even was one for sale a few months ago - full-suspension, full Deore XT (with canti brakes), and Fox suspension... but it was priced 600$ and that's still like 3/4 of my monthly salary.

Dug thru stash and found a couple of wheels from a Schwinn Frontier.
IMG_1990.JPG

Donor was a ladies frame and also way small so I stripped for parts. Alloy rims, Shimano hubs and quick release skewers. Bike had little use but must of been hanging in the rafters and has a thick coating of that tobacco scum I used to clean off of the inside windows of cars. Lotsa scrubbing l to remove.
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1983.JPG

Had a couple of Pannaracer 26 x 2.0 tires - looked puny on a cruiser but nice on this.
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG

Tiny dropout adjuster screws provide precise rear axle alignment.
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG

Bottom bracket brakes!

Removed these rusty brackets - maybe fender mounts?
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG

The rear derailleur thumb shifter switches from index to friction!
IMG_1996.JPG

Seat post not stuck. It is extra long and includes mfg. date of 10/87.
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG

Ritchey grips look like black rubber but actually clear silicone and very very dirty. :eek:
IMG_2008.JPG

Rear derailleur is worn out and I will replace it.
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG

I see a problem with the brake and chain running properly... Unless you change the cranks to 1 speed :39:

Miyata literature lists the holes as "fender bosses"on the front, "carrier bracket" on the stay, but I can't find any pictures of them with fenders installed.
e607d890654a7850c42a027a8321b96b.jpg

I see a problem with the brake and chain running properly... Unless you change the cranks to 1 speed :39:
Switched through all 3 rings skipping got bad on the big ring in front and the larger cogs on the rear. What do you see?

Miyata literature lists the holes as "fender bosses"on the front, "carrier bracket" on the stay, but I can't find any pictures of them with fenders installed.View attachment 112176
Both mud scrapers were held on with identical 10mm headed bolts. Back used alum spacers and a nut like a side pull brake mount, and the fork is tapped in the crown so no nut. Maybe back in the day plastic fenders were molded around the brackets and they are long gone now...

Found an Shimano Acera RD-4400 in the stash.
IMG_2046.JPG

The old Deore derailleur was really wore out at the pivot point for the jockey wheel cage.
IMG_2047.JPG

Too bad. The jockey wheels on the Deore have sealed ball bearings and seem to be metal maybe they will fit another derailleur?

IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2051.JPG

Chain line looks good and shifts well except the "Index" seems sticky - sometimes jumps a cog but if you move the shifter handle to remove the play it doesn't. Works great in "friction" mode.
IMG_2048.JPG

Don't know if I can lube it or what. I may try some trigger shifters I have.

IMG_2049.JPG

Trying some different bar stem combos. :)

That jockey wheel looks cool with the holes. Perhaps could be repurposed as a tensioner on a single speed build.
I don't know about the thumbies specifically, but shimano's rapid fire shifters are known to malfunction when the lube they use gets old. It gums up the works. If you have an access port underneath the shifter, spray some cleaner in and operate the shifter to flush out the gunk. Then add your own lube. Not saying it applies to your shifters, but it's something to consider.

View attachment 112207 View attachment 112208

Chain line looks good and shifts well except the "Index" seems sticky - sometimes jumps a cog but if you move the shifter handle to remove the play it doesn't. Works great in "friction" mode.
View attachment 112209
Don't know if I can lube it or what. I may try some trigger shifters I have. :)

You can lube them - if that does'nt work the problem might be from the difference in producion years of components, and the gap between them (technicly Shimano groupsets can work with parts up to 1 set higher or 2 sets lower, but I already seen combinations of Acera-Deore that didn't wan't to work with each other)

IMG_2065.JPG
Cleaned mech on existing shifter but not happy how it shifted in SIS mode. Had these combo units in my stash from same bike shop girls Schwinn that wheels came from.
IMG_2055.JPG

New shift and brake cables, new brake pads next!
IMG_2056.JPG

Latest posts

Back