1988 Panasonic sport LX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
index.php

This is a continuance of:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/horsefarmers-fresh-finds.109737/page-3#post-1157037
Found via FB marketplace for $20. Crazy like new condition as shown, just needed seat and seat post.

Little bit of time last evening, sorry for bad pics. It got dark FAST!
DSCF7661.JPG
DSCF7665.JPG
DSCF7666.JPG

Just experimenting with parts...
Don't want these on here though.
DSCF7656.JPG

Guess they are BMX rat traps. They have a date stamp "I 88" so Sept. 1988?

I run pedals designed for straps, minus the straps, all the time. As long as the step surface is flat, I just wear regular shoes. I've ever ground off the tabs for the straps so I can use both sides. I hate one sided pedals. Yours look like nice ones

MKS Sylvans are great pedals. I run the sylvan tour on a lot of my bikes but I've run the road version too. On a road bike where you don't change your foot placement a lot, doesn't seem to matter much.

Bike is running 52t and 42t SR chainwheel. Only a 5 speed freewheel. Geared pretty awesome with 50 to 101 gear inches. Only had to shift to the 42t chainwheel going up a crazy steep hill after a 90 degree corner at the base. Hard to keep any momentum and first gear was just too tall.

index.php

This is a continuance of:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/horsefarmers-fresh-finds.109737/page-3#post-1157037
Found via FB marketplace for $20. Crazy like new condition as shown, just needed seat and seat post.
[/QUOTE
Beauty, Panasonic’s are tremendous bikes. I see a trend beginning where these Panasonics are upgraded with carbon threadless forks, carbon aero bars, campy or other quality alloy wheel sets and entry level Campy group sets. You get a nice steel frame with a modern cockpit and great shifting. You almost can’t find the parts to do this right now. Classic inexpensive quality steel ride with the modern benefits.

us56456712 said:
"Beauty, Panasonic’s are tremendous bikes. I see a trend beginning where these Panasonics are upgraded with carbon threadless forks, carbon aero bars, campy or other quality alloy wheel sets and entry level Campy group sets. You get a nice steel frame with a modern cockpit and great shifting. You almost can’t find the parts to do this right now. Classic inexpensive quality steel ride with the modern benefits."
Quoting us56456712 so his wisdom is visible in the thread. I'll add this nugget. Panasonic had some nice steel trail bikes too. Their road pedigree makes for some nice in between action
photo 1_o.jpeg

us56456712 said:
"Beauty, Panasonic’s are tremendous bikes. I see a trend beginning where these Panasonics are upgraded with carbon threadless forks, carbon aero bars, campy or other quality alloy wheel sets and entry level Campy group sets. You get a nice steel frame with a modern cockpit and great shifting. You almost can’t find the parts to do this right now. Classic inexpensive quality steel ride with the modern benefits."
Quoting us56456712 so his wisdom is visible in the thread. I'll add this nugget. Panasonic had some nice steel trail bikes too. Their road pedigree makes for some nice in between action
View attachment 143944
That’s a nice bike. Mountain stem, bar end shifters, canti plus roller brakes and fenders. Looks ready for touring or gravel. I would J B Weld in some riv nuts for bottle cages. Was this originally a mountain bike?

Panasonic/National built the Schwinn World Traveller, Voyageur, and Le Tours. All really quality bikes. They built Schwinn mountain bikes too. The higher-end ones tend to be better deals than the Mountain Cats (Project KOM vs MC-7500)

Took this around the 12 mile block. Amazed it takes bumps in the pavement so well with 80 psi in those skinny tires and no suspension. A tribute to the design and materials of the frame. Next upgrade will probably be a vintage trigger shifter for the rear derailleur.

Just remembered mine was branded National. The Panasonic brand for bikes and electrical goods was used later in Australia.

index.php
index.php

Trying a different seat. Works well except seat post needs to drop a bit lower.
Probably my fastest bike, with least rolling resistance. Really dislike stem shift.
It's crazy but around here I find downshifting for hills I'm going down too many gears on this bike. This is probably as close as I will ever get to riding a fixed gear...
I can spend most of the time in the top 3 gears!

Updates.
New Conti tires replaced OLD Kendas.
Clean and lube wheel bearings - they were pretty much siezed.
see https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threa...-if-new-vibrations-start.116237/#post-1222914
I am not a fan of stem mounted shifters, so added a vintage Shimano SIS thumbie and a new cable!
20220815_200930.jpg

Bottom bracket didn't show any signs of distress, but the wheels didn't either and they were bone dry, so I though I thought I shou,d check the bottom bracket bearings "just in case".
20220815_200824.jpg

Surprise! rust and super dried out grease residue.
It makes sense, as I when I bought the bike it came without seat or seatpost.
The waxy stuff protected the bearings and shaft, but it must of introduced more drag to pedaling.
20220815_200542.jpg

All parts cleaned up fine. probably just throw 'em back in with new grease. However, I should pull the fixed cup and paint the internal rust to preserve it.
Screenshot_20220816-112355_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I may pull this external bearing crankset from my build off bike and put it on the Panasonic instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back