1990 Schwinn Impact

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
DSCF8233.JPG
DSCF8227.JPG
DSCF8215.JPG
DSCF8224.JPG
DSCF8222.JPG
DSCF8219.JPG
DSCF8238.JPG
mountain oversize tubing.jpg

Sad they used non standard shift cables probably going to have to change the trigger shifters.
DSCF8239.JPG

Last edited:
sometimes I wonder who comes up with names of things. "Impact", doesn't conjure good images of mountain biking to me.

1990_24.jpg
1990_MTB_Road_Cat_14.jpg

It's pretty well untouched, according to the specs. Sadly, it's the biggest frame they made 23" (58cm). With my 29" inseam IDK how this will work for me. I usually fit medium frames 19" (48cm) seatpost or so.
DSCF8248.JPG

Seat post was stuck, but freed up. It's super long tho so I found a much shorter one with better chrome. Gonna have to slam it and hope I can fit the bike.
DSCF8256.JPG

I greased and adjusted the bb before I put it in "cold storage" a couple of years ago.
DSCF8257.JPG

found another set of Sun Tour 7 speed shifters and the cable is just a bit longer to reach the rear derailleur. After a bit of futzing it's shifting well with trigger shifters.
DSCF8254.JPG

Stem came out fine! Bars frozen on stem tho. I got to change them need more rise.
DSCF8252.JPG

Gear ratios on the big ring is 41 to 95 gear inches.

Last edited:
I think those are my all-time favorite brake levers!!! Higher ratio than most, coupled with a modern disc my kids learned wheelie kung-fu!
All around cool score, I built and sold a few bitd.

DSC00041.JPG
DSCF8267.JPG

Narrower bars. No idea what they came off of but like the cool sticker.
Semi gloss black rustoleum baking in the 17 deg sunshine.

DSC00077.JPG

Sunny 36deg test ride! Successful. Bike seat height seems OK but crank height seems higher (maybe to avoid hitting objects on the trail).
Maybe just too big a frame for me. :(

DSC00202.JPG

Longer test ride today. Stopped twice and adjusted seat higher. Pretty happy with it. The seat has to go.

Yes it does. It is hard to tell in the pictures, but it looks like the bars could stand to be rotated a few degrees forward as well. They look a little droopy.

Latest posts

Back