1HP ELGIN ''UndeadCustom'' FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+2 on the existing chainguard! Good looking bike. If it was sporting some wide, flat mtb bars, I may come and take it to my bike shed to meet some other rats..:nod:
Thanks! i thought about that , but did not actually try to ride with it tho, maybe i should ... (that stem tho , does not fit the style at all)
DSCN6203_zpsxuhs9pvp.jpg

IMG_0911_zpsqcl16vij.jpg
cleaned_zpszfatcokq.jpg
Recadrer%20fini_zpsrkg6zr8b.jpg

After ridding it for a short while and taking nice pictures , the cold weather is setting in and i decided to disasemble everything , get rid of the rear drop outs , stretch the frame even more to fit the wheel normally for eventually prep the frame for pain or else?..

but the 2nd try at stretching splitted the stay again , but this time it was worst and to far gone ,so i had to cut it , and and transplant some steal in it ...
DSCN6248_zps2vy7gq8n.jpg

that is as soon as i buy a replacement vice :doh:
R.I.P vice n*1 (1991-2015) my loyal diy buddy since the begining:praise:
DSCN6247_zpskfhju3d0.jpg

Yep! :D
DSCN6249_zpsgzplrsx9.jpg

and a little 3d preview of how ill be fixing the chanstays.
since the tubes are oval and of an awkward diameter (of tubing pressed oval) ill be using 5/8"tubing , bent to match the curve of the stays ,splited in length and welded slightly apart from each other on the 1/2" rod inserted inside (witch fits perfect in the narrow side of the oval stays)
htfcs_zpsgfqdbzaf.jpg

Its almost finished welding, i should bring it back from makerspace tonight
i learned to do it myself last night , not that hard when you get the twist :)

the hope to be in the "from scratch bulds" section is getting closer and closer
i am planning to buy a welding machine and in the process of building a tube bender

not the best looking job , but it is strong and should look alright when cleaned up
DSCN6297_zpsqnxrfn69.jpg
DSCN6298_zpsf3zugp5v.jpg
DSCN6300_zpsiuaqo99n.jpg

that chain guard was ment for this bike , perfect fit !

i found a excuse to weld again :)
after the suicide door , suicide shifter , suicide brake ...
here is the suicide kickstand :rofl: :cool2:
DSCN6324_zpslep5qwww.jpg
DSCN6325_zpsui7klszl.jpg

all i have to do really is to weld the cylender to the base to stabilize the pivot/axis of the stand.

Why that's so DANGEROUS! :eek:
because i can , also because instaled the regular way it binds with the crank arm and because i don't have better options for now and i love that spring sticking out :giggle:;)

Well that suicide stand was not working out ...

Not much updates lately , but i have been working on allot of small details and parts,
but also on a low flat bead cargo bike trailer witch ill show later or in the *Show me* fumum..

-replacing allot of hardware for brass
-making the suspension/light support out of a rusty flat bar
-redo the wirering and brushed aluminum finish on the light
-rebuild the pedals with custom peices of unknown dark oily REALLLLY hard wood
-rebuild the seat support polish/clear/new springs/brass nuts
DSCN6345_zpsarffbetx.jpg
DSCN6340_zps5nmesryd.jpg

DSCN6338_zpsfcghd6lk.jpg
DSCN6335_zpshgg1xio5.jpg

Bump!
I did a faux rusty patina paint job on the chain stays
Came out great !! repairs are not visible at all :dance2:
Satin clear coat is drying over night , ill post pics tomorrow:nod:

Looks great, can't wait to see the trailer.
yeah , pretty wet and cold since i finished it , ill try to take pics when the weather is clear (hopefully before any snow)

more shiny than expected :39:
DSCN6349_zpsixwrx10j.jpg
DSCN6348_zpslyumtjdq.jpg
DSCN6352_zps4h9rknip.jpg
DSCN6353_zpskmrmwehx.jpg

That textured color is a near perfect match , there was also like 4 other slightly different shades of brown available , glad i picked the right one:praise:
the baige-camo and black was use as a slight mist to to mimic the un-perfect natural patine

i think ima sand it a little smoother and use a flat/mat clear instead

every parts , nuts n bolts are prepped , but waiting on a possible vintage 3speed hub from a friend to do the wheels

also i think the end result might look along the lines of this:
ELGIN%20PAINT_zpsny6gjrwi.jpg

a bit of a Jurassic theme with the (1hp) and (38) kind of hidden in there:) 38 for 1938 being the the middle of the 3 years of production of this bike frame 37-38-39

Latest posts

Back