RRBBO13 1nto Th3 Mystic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got my attention with this one. One of my favorite songs of all time. Van is da man!!
Great to see you join the fun brother!!!

Last edited:
What's into the mystic ride?

Dang it Falstaff, it's 3 am here and you have me up taking pictures and keying on my phone. ;)
It'll be a bit of this and a bit of that...
IMG_20180527_014345.jpg

From here I'll see what's in the stars as it progresses.
I'm using mostly parts and supplies I have on hand.
I've had the frame for about a year and tried different mock ups with borrowed parts from my other bikes, but they all found their way back to their rightful places.
I haven't really charted my course on this build, but it should be fairly smooth sailing.
At this point I have one 'maybe' fork to start playing with and I only found that fork last night by chance on a scrap frame in a lbs' curbside recycling.
I have some wheel and tire choices, but hope to maybe upgrade along the way if need be and possibly explore possible fork options.
I have a pile of old parts after what, 9 years messing around here and suspect a seat recover and maybe some light conversions to be part of the fun.
I'm kind of winding down my bike hobby and hope to also offer up some goodies along the way to fund my shopping list for this bike and my other keepers.

You got my attention with this one. One of my favorite songs of all time. Van is da man!!
Great to see you join the fun brother!!!

Thanks for the greeting King, it's good to be here in The Big One with you all.
Although mostly a bolt on build, there should be enough problem solving where input, creativity and inspiration will keep it interesting.

The keypad has been drinking.

Last edited:
Nice frame something you made?

I only wish I had such skills Brian.
The frame was built by a talented local race car builder that said he just likes to make stuff 'because he can'. This was his first bicycle frame. Not too shabby at all I'd say.
The welds are super clean and the tank plates are nicely done.
There are some open tube ends in the rear and front down tube for me to utilize in some fashion, such as fender braces, lights etc. We'll see.
The sharper design on the tank panels kind of contend with the rounded gussets and overall look, but with some paint should blend in with the possible 40s to 60s elements I plan to use.
I should get some better pics shortly. It was just too hot to think in my work space today.
Cheers

Here are the first mock up pics showing the open tubes on rear stays, the curb found fork with Evans truss rods, untested Bendix 2 speed hub and a seat option A.
IMG_20180527_202203.jpg
IMG_20180527_202111.jpg

I found the chunkier front tire in my stash, but it doesn't leave much room for my fender ideas. Maybe I'll try and make some more clearance on the fork crown. Though I'm not married to this fork either.
I'd like to use the Sachs drum and keep both rims in chrome. Perhaps a re lace into the Columbia front rim and use my pair of lightning darts. IDK right now though.
I have a good 3 and 4 speed hub as well, but like the sexy vintage chrome Bendix shell and shifter in keeping with the idea of using older parts.
I'll see what I can do with the Bendix in terms of servicing, ridability and braking before possible hub swap.
The Bendix gets mixed reviews, but the front drum would boost any braking deficiencies.

Attachments

• IMG_20180527_202247.jpg
    IMG_20180527_202247.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 201
I really like the tank work on that frame!

I really like the tank work on that frame!

Thank you, I agree Kingfish, the guy did a real nice job. There's no gap along the edges either and it's just tacked in '13' points on each side. :39:
When I first layed eyes on this frame on Kijiji it had a single linear crease through the middle of each panel. I was sold on it with the first version, but the extra work on these were a very pleasant surprise. Inititially I thought it was pretty 80s is. It has grown on me.

Last edited:
I also just found the 2.125 tires are a literal no go in these narrow forks.
I'll give the local bike Co-op a try for another fork. The last time I dropped by some insulant man bunned newby volunteer instantly raised my hackles. Maybe next time I'll hit up a familiar old timer to let me access the basement fork vault.
I'm also awaiting word and pics from a neighbor who has an old Italian moped to unload. It could provide a great fork option if not a fun new project.

Thank you, I agree Kingfish, the guy did a real nice job. There's no gap along the edges either and it's just tacked in '13' points on each side. :39:
When I first layed eyes on this frame on Kijiji it had a single linear crease through the middle of each panel. I was sold on it with the first version, but the extra work on these were a very pleasant surprise. Inititially I thought it was pretty 80s is. It has grown on me.
Wait a minute, these are for sale?

Wait a minute, these are for sale?

No Sir, this was a one off. The man built it for himself just for something to do.
He's not even a bike guy, but did his own take on elements he liked of the production bikes.
He told me that some of the bends were made over his race car tires if I remember correctly.
I've actually tried selling this frame with optional Girvin Vector fork locally,(Toronto, Ont.)
Lucky for me I guess I didn't even get a nibble.:whew: :happy:

No Sir, this was a one off. The man built it for himself just for something to do.
He's not even a bike guy, but did his own take on elements he liked of the production bikes.
He told me that some of the bends were made over his race car tires if I remember correctly.
I've actually tried selling this frame with optional Girvin Vector fork locally,(Toronto, Ont.)
Lucky for me I guess I didn't even get a nibble.
:whew: :happy:

Wow... if I lived near you I would've nibbled like a hungry piranha o_O

That's a very cool frame :nod:

Glen.

Wow... if I lived near you I would've nibbled like a hungry piranha o_O

That's a very cool frame :nod:

Glen.
Thanks Glen, I was quick on the trigger when I saw it too!
I hopped a commuter train to bring her home. The builder was kind enough to meet me at the station.

Last edited:
Right on.
It's a great frame.

Thanks Falstaff.
It's in my final 4 keepers and I'm a big fan of unique frames and exposed worksmanship.

1.bare Elgin Twinn
2.bare Colson looptail
3.crusty Raleigh butcher's bike rat. ( The next project.)
4.this bare (for now?) build off bike.

Thought it was a Ruff Cycles frame when I first saw it. Doesn't look like a homemade one off at all. Should be a cool bike.

Latest posts

Back