RRBBO13 1nto Th3 Mystic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you riding this bad boy yet?

Are you riding this bad boy yet?

Not even a bit King.
I've mostly just been staring at it trying to figure which way to go with it.
This is how it stands today, held together with duct tape, wire and super magnets.
I did some fender chopping today.
IMG_20180619_185202.jpg

I am trying to only use parts on hand, so for now the fork stays.
Challenged for time and budget, I opted to go with my 28" Sachs 3 speed wheel set that's ready to roll and went a bit wider tire on rear.
I found I could fit a Spitfire 26x1.75(or 1.95 was it?) under that fork, but messing with the long rested Bendix may take more time, skill and patience (than I have?) to get right.
My idea was to use the finned Columbia fenders on top of some Evans' middle weights. Today they got bobbed a bit.
IMG_20180619_185202.jpg
IMG_20180619_185218.jpg

I didn't like the angle of the dangle on the truss rods, so will find or make some new mounted from the top of the head tube.
I also impulsively recovered to Persons saddle and am not pleased with the way it came out. I don't like the colour, seams etc., but the spring frame does afford some fender clearance, so there could be a do over in the future as the build progresses or I find other options.
IMG_20180619_185304.jpg

There is a kick stand mounting plate between the bottom stays that a) is of no use and b) impedes wheel fitment, so will be dealt with next.
IMG_20180619_185249.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_185335.jpg
    IMG_20180619_185335.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 175
That is a cool idea to mesh the skinny finned and fatter fenders on top of each other. Keep having fun with duct tape, wire, and super magnets.

This reminds me of something, but can't put my finger on it.:39:
Maybe something like this...
ede3a59a7748095ae472e843a13ad812_XL.jpg

That long frame-tank makes me think of this:
Zundapp_KS_500_1934.jpg

or this:
BMW_motorbike_R_12_(aka).jpg

I did a mock up a while back when I blew my Columbia five star apart and spread the parts around in a thread called the Columbia Experiment.
The Springer and fenders ended up on this frame.
It looked alot like the pics you posted.
62435_794e003512537c878843c67151760f3f.jpeg

The Columbia is safely out of my reach on consignment ...for now.
This chainguard came home on this
152960982116981966280.png
and suits this frame quite well, fitting won't be a big deal.
Possibly extending it may be, but I have a little trick to try later.
Another image that has had some influence up to this stage...
gallery1.jpg

Last edited:
The Columbia is still mine, and the idea of using the fork has crossed my mind.
The head tube on the custom frame is a little shorter than the Columbia.
Adding threads to the steer tube and the locking fork and bearing cups may pose an extra challenge if I go that direction.
I consigned the Columbia to make work space and keep it out of my reach in case someone wants it complete, but it does have some nice options parts wise to use elsewhere in the herd.
I've already scooped the saddle, Supreme pedals and aforementioned Lightening Darts for myself.
I posted the Columbia for quite awhile and only had 1 tire kicker respond.
I could bring it home, reassign some parts and do one more build, I guess. The Gervin Noleen I have made it a bit meaner looking. Hmm.
I had a bit of a guilty conscience parting the repro during 'The Columbia Experiment' , but then again it is just a repop...right?

Go for it!! Like you said it's only a repop. I wouldn't think twice about it.

What's the scoop on this metal clad rat ? Really looking forward to more updates! Clock's ticking -ticking -ticking....

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!!

countdown.gif

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!!

countdown.gif

Thanks Kingfish, I was about to ask for an extension thinking the build off wrapped up tomorrow.
I've been hard at it the past few days, but still plenty of kinks to iron out.
Life's been hectic and my documentation of the process has been lacking.
I'll try and get some pics up tonight of where it's at and how it got there.

Well, I've gotten this project this far.
Swapped and added thread to a wider fork and went with a wider set offenders from an old Hawthorne. I have been respecting the patina in the fenders.
Paint started as dollar store rattle can flat tan and blue.
I may try and get the paint finish closer with a stain rub etc. ?
The old cross brace bars are out for now and I've gone with the stem that fit the new fork. The bars are modern wide beach bars that I Kung Fued a little narrower and have a brushed finish with some #400, meh.
Columbia fin fenders worked out well for form and fit. Rear fender may go more tail dragger style. The Evans guard painted/distressed, not fitted.
Headlight optional, not wired yet.
Saddle rough and dangerous. Not enough contact cement in hand to recover.
Oh yeah the fender ornament was a local antique store score on my walk to pick up my fresh find Flightliner that I've been riding since I got her.
I tentatively ID'd the ornament as a '32 Franklin and am hoping to work at the antique store in the very near future.
The flared extensions are a pair of friction fit table legs.
IMG_20180802_191918.jpg
IMG_20180802_191840.jpg
IMG_20180801_200145.jpg

So, Into the Mystic moniker came about because I did and do not know where the building heading. I think I chose a decent dig horn.
I may or may not make the bike safe to ride by the BO deadline as I'm still running into rough waves along the way.
Hey it's just a bike and it's just paint after all.... As my budget time weather shop and parts supply has dictated the direction of progress.
IMG_20180802_191827.jpg

Here's a cool old snow racer in the antique store, why do I think I need this?
IMG_20180508_120841.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180802_191827.jpg
    IMG_20180802_191827.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20180508_120854.jpg
    IMG_20180508_120854.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Hahahaha, a snow racer! Your pics are bit mixed and I was looking at it and saw the ski and couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was some stand of sort. Really cool, I have never seen such sleds.
Your bike looks great! Are those 28" wheels? Those pipes in the rear look terrific too. It makes me immediately think of the old motorcycles form the 30s. Is that a horn over the front light? The fender ornament fits the bike well too.
I like this bike a lot!

Hahahaha, a snow racer! Your pics are bit mixed and I was looking at it and saw the ski and couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was some stand of sort. Really cool, I have never seen such sleds.
Your bike looks great! Are those 28" wheels? Those pipes in the rear look terrific too. It makes me immediately think of the old motorcycles form the 30s. Is that a horn over the front light? The fender ornament fits the bike well too.
I like this bike a lot!

Hey thanks for the heads up on pics and thumbs up on the bike. I was kind of going for a '30s '40s vibe.
28" rims from Dutch cruiser.
3 speed and front drum brake. The rear tires little bigger. Just stuff I had around.
That is an old plunger horn above the headlight.

I'm digging it!
Love the layered fenders especially

Latest posts

Back