1st build is done, onto the next! 1953 Schwinn

• The new forum software has been installed. We are still working on a few issues...some images not displaying, spacing, colors, etc. Please send Rat Rod any issues that you may encounter when using the forum. Thanks!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, so I got bid happy on eBay awhile back and this ended up at my doorstep. Seller claims it was a 1953 Schwinn Typhoon? Serial number checks out.

Right now I have in mind flat black frame, big ... white walled tires on red rims. I believe this is a middleweight bike frame? How large can I go without issues? I really like these tires...

xbblues's ride. Hope he doesn't mind I jacked his pic.

Right now I am hoping something like those will fit, because that's kinda the look I am after.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Oct 20, 2007
Lombard IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the Typhoon came out until the late 50's early 60's. Plus a 53 frame should be a ballooner. The serial numbers overlapped in the 50's so you might want to double check that or post the number up.

Jan 21, 2009
Mililani, Hawaii
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That sure looks like a Typhoon with the pinstriped fenders. But the serial number seems like it's missing a digit, the number looks like it was struck too far to the right, making the last digit missing. There may be a "1" at the end looking at the pic. That would make it a 66.

Sep 11, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That seems like a most reasonable theory.

Wildcat said:
That sure looks like a Typhoon with the pinstriped fenders. But the serial number seems like it's missing a digit, the number looks like it was struck too far to the right, making the last digit missing. There may be a "1" at the end looking at the pic. That would make it a 66.