1st build is done, onto the next! 1953 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, so I got bid happy on eBay awhile back and this ended up at my doorstep. Seller claims it was a 1953 Schwinn Typhoon? Serial number checks out.

Right now I have in mind flat black frame, big ... white walled tires on red rims. I believe this is a middleweight bike frame? How large can I go without issues? I really like these tires...

xbblues's ride. Hope he doesn't mind I jacked his pic.

DSC_0184copy.jpg

Right now I am hoping something like those will fit, because that's kinda the look I am after.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Those look like 24 x 3's on a 26" frame which should work just fine, now if you're running 26" wheels about the biggest I have gone with my Schwinn is a 26 x 2.125 without any rubbing.

I don't want to mess with modifying the frame. Do you have any pictures of your bike with that tire setup? Also is this a rare bike? With the year and fact its a middleweight?

That sure looks like a Typhoon with the pinstriped fenders. But the serial number seems like it's missing a digit, the number looks like it was struck too far to the right, making the last digit missing. There may be a "1" at the end looking at the pic. That would make it a 66.

That seems like a most reasonable theory.

Wildcat said:
That sure looks like a Typhoon with the pinstriped fenders. But the serial number seems like it's missing a digit, the number looks like it was struck too far to the right, making the last digit missing. There may be a "1" at the end looking at the pic. That would make it a 66.

Alright, if that's the case, 26x2.35 tires are probably the route I should go for the look I am after? Can I get some pics of this setup please? Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back