2 of our bikes stolen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I woke up today to a lousy fathers day. When the dog wanted out at 6:30 this morning I noticed my klunker and my sons bike were missing. I rode through the neighborhood a few times and a joining neighborhoods with no luck.
I wasn't going to let this go unnoticed so I made a sign for the front yard. A few hours later the door bell was about to ring off the wall. The wife went to the door there stood the parents and their teenage son, with our bikes. The wife didn't know if they were ours or not so she called me to the door. Sure enough the bikes were ours. The parents read my sign coming home from Church, the father went in their backyard and found both bikes behind his garage. The father was ready to kill this kid, I told the father I wouldn't press charges, he could take care of the matter with his son.
It's amazing the results a piece of cardboard and spray paint had. :mrgreen:
Kenny
img_3164.jpg

Very nice, my sign would have ended with a black eye!
Hate bicycle thieves.

I have enough parts I could have built him a bike. He showed no remorse what so ever.
My revised sign.
Kenny
img_3165.jpg

Parents can only do so much, then the influence of the crowd at the public schools can take over.

Glad that you got them back. I'm ultra-paranoid about theft and I quadruple lock everything including the doors of my house. I think my keyring must weigh 5 pounds.

Glad to see you got them back, most times we are not so lucky. Thankfully I haven't had anything stolen in years but I have had a few times people trying to break into my shed which isn't too hard to do (old tin shed and the door half falls off when I open it) but it makes enough noise to alert me.

The last one was brazen enough that when I yelled he came right up to my window on the other side of my fan less than 2 feet from my face and stood there looking in. I pulled my .410 shotgun off the rack and told him if he kept looking at me he'd see me shoot him. Haven't seen him since and hope (for his sake) I never do. Probably wouldn't kill him but that #6 game shot would definitely put the fear of god in him. When I get the money I'll have to get a shotgun shell loader and make some of my good old rock salt loads. :mrgreen:

When you told the father you would not press charges, you should have added: I won't press charges IF your boy mows my yard the rest of the summer. If that was my dad at the door and I stole the bikes, he would have had me mowing your grass with a pair of scissors. Just returning the bikes is not restitution enough to you in my opinion. Gary

I agree Gary, but I don't want this punk near my house. If he had some shame I might feel different, but this kid had no remorse at all. He was just mad because he got caught.
Kenny

interesting story, and I'm glad it ended up in your favor. I hope the kids learn their lesson eventually. I think you did the right thing by leaving it to the parents to take care of it with the kid.

What I want to know is why were the bikes so easy to steal??

petesponies said:
What I want to know is why were the bikes so easy to steal??

Some places people live you don't normally have to worry about your stuff getting stolen.

I had a cardboard sign like that when someone stole the Christmas decorations off my house. They weren't returned.

Kenny....glad to hear the bikes were returned. They usually aren't. Most likely taken apart and or repainted.
I have a fairly new workshop in my backyard. This is backed up to a small lake...so no easy access except through my front yard...or the neighbors yard.
The shop was broken in to and four bikes, 3 rod and reel combos, tackle box, tools were stolen. First I noticed some of my wrenches in the next door neighbors yard. Then I found 3 of the bikes in their bushes. One of the rod and reel combos broke in the bushes.
He had stolen some of my black spray paint and painted half of my wifes 55 bright yellow Columbia.
Anywho...he turned out to be a friend of the 19 year old Gothic neighbor boy.
I have to go to an arraignment on the 27th this month.

You know that the cops said..."sir its only a bike"....oh did I go off on him.....I was so upset about the invasion, that statement just sent me over the edge.

I need to get estimates for my loses for court still.
Anybody willing to write me estimates to present?

But, I'm glad you got the homes back.....now the yards in the whole neighborhood would be my thoughts of punishment.
And his picture posted on a beware of this thief sign nailed to the fence.

usy2ejyr.jpg

Before the vandalism painting
umuhupy7.jpg

After
esagaqu3.jpg

erazyhu7.jpg

My Pristine Silver King, also my wife's bike...before
babyratu.jpg

After
ta3aju5e.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

outskirtscustoms said:
Glad to see you got them back, most times we are not so lucky. Thankfully I haven't had anything stolen in years but I have had a few times people trying to break into my shed which isn't too hard to do (old tin shed and the door half falls off when I open it) but it makes enough noise to alert me.

The last one was brazen enough that when I yelled he came right up to my window on the other side of my fan less than 2 feet from my face and stood there looking in. I pulled my .410 shotgun off the rack and told him if he kept looking at me he'd see me shoot him. Haven't seen him since and hope (for his sake) I never do. Probably wouldn't kill him but that #6 game shot would definitely put the fear of god in him. When I get the money I'll have to get a shotgun shell loader and make some of my good old rock salt loads. :mrgreen:

Rock salt will get you sued. Dead people can't sue. If someone's on your property, and you go for your gun, make sure to kill them, otherwise, you'll find yourself in court, paying medical bills.

deven_science said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Rock salt will get you sued. Dead people can't sue. If someone's on your property, and you go for your gun, make sure to kill them, otherwise, you'll find yourself in court, paying medical bills.

Of coarse then they'd have to explain why they were in my yard late at night. But good advice. I don't like the thought of taking a life over material possessions but the way the laws are it's either let them get away with it or take them out.

Another problem is that their family can still sue over a dead loved one. Going rate for a Lawyer to successfully defend you in a wrongful death case is $60,000.00. Yes, that's $60K if you beat 'em. Much more if you lose. There is no winning anything if you shoot anyone. You're better off locking everything up and having a good security system. You can still scare the POOP out of them with your gun. :shock:

P.S. If you look at my Avatar, you can see that I'm not Anti-Gun. 8)

Pete your right the bikes were easy picking. That night was the first night my knunker wasn't locked up. With my dad dieing I didn't even think about the bike not being locked up that night. My son's bike is never locked. But they are in a fenced in yard, and on a back porch. Our 90 lb. lab was no help, she slept right through the bikes being stolen. They are locked down from now on. These are our least expensive bikes the Jetflow stays in the garage and the others are in a shed out back. I wish we had room to keep the klunker and my son's bike inside also.

John I'm so sorry to hear about your bikes being damaged. If I can help you get them back up to speed, just let me know.
Why can't people just leave someone else's possessions alone.
Kenny

I agree with Ken. Lock 'em down. Don't make it easy for the bad guys. There was a time in my life when I was a rotten kid. Today at the age of 55, I am now the opposite. Last week I gave an Umbrella to an older gal walking home in the rain. Tonight Cindy and I were eating in a neighborhood diner. I noticed an elderly woman sitting alone eating her dinner. I called the cook over so I could secretly pay her bill. I would've given anything to see her face when she found out she got covered, but left before she was done. Trusting in myself that I am making up for my indiscretions of my youth is good enough for me. I thank The Lord I didn't continue down that path.

Latest posts

Back