2 speed kick back hub, which performs better?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my '63 schwinn typhoon but the single speed rear hub is horrible. I'll go around the block and be dying by the time I'm back home. I'm wanting to upgrade it to a 2 speed kick back hub but I'm debating if I should go with a rebuilt schwinn red band unit or a new sturmey archer one. Does anyone know what the differences are or which is better and why? Thanks in advance fellas.

the red bands are an under drive hub that will give you a 1:1 and a lower gear, The sturmeys are an over driver type like the blue band Bendix that give you a 1:1 and a higher gear

A red or yellow Bendix will work good for your Typhoon. I delivered papers on a yellow band Typhoon back in the day. I don't know anything about SA 2 speeds. Gary

I used a yellow band Bendix on a few bikes I had no problem even though it had some wear on it. The coaster brakes are better than the single speed Bendix too. You can usually find a kickback hub in the for sale section here. Memory Lane Classics may have them also. Now I ride with a new SRAM 2 speed Automatix, no kickback. Iit shifts at the same rpm, you don't choose when to shift.

A quick and dirty option would be to switch the rear cog to a B-20 to lower the drive ratio (standard is typically 18 on a men's bike). They even made 22t but those are hard to find. Bendix cogs are very easy to change.

But Bendix automatic is a nice hub. I love them--low gear hum and all.

"I love my '63 schwinn typhoon but the single speed rear hub is horrible. I'll go around the block and be dying by the time I'm back home."

Is it the rear hub that came with it? I found the Typhoons I've ridden to be geared just right for cruising around. As Jpromo said, an extra tooth or two on the rear cog would be an inexpensive way to pedal easier. You might have to add a link to the chain. Also you would keep your original S7 wheel with red band Bendix hub if that's what you have now. But I really enjoyed the Bendix yellow band 2 speed hub I had along with a few 3 speeds w coaster brake. All I had to do with the 3 speeds was run a shifter and cable, no need for hand brakes.

Latest posts

Back