$20 Schwinn XR-8 Stationary

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Passed on one of these at the Goodwill Bins in Portland Or for 5 bucks and have kicked myself ever since. I found this yesterday on CL for $20. Anybody seen any cool uses of the parts? The sprocket is MASSIVE. I am thinking I am going to put that quick adjust stem on my schwinn tanker repop. Maybe the bars too.

Untitled by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

I have bought and found a few,,I never paid over 15 bucks, some morons ask 500 dollars for them bragging about how it is almost mint,,they are all almost mint cause nobody used them lol.

It has the same seat as a Schwinn Heavy Duti,,a great seat, most of them have an extra long chrome seat post that is great to have. YOurs looks like holes in it,,,not the usual system.

I have not done it, but you can cut the rubber off the rim and you have an s2 rim that will fit old Sting Rays. The gooseneck is a nice gooseneck used on many middle and lite weight Schwinns.

The extra large crank is really great to put on a ratrod, I have seen them they look so kewl cause they are so big.

hope that helped

The 'straight bar' version are from the eighties, and when they converted to the wider seat posts with adjustment holes in them. This was the last of the coppertone coloring; they converted over to white within the year. This is when the manufacturing was transferred over to Giant in Taiwan. The older 'curvier' (aka looks like a girls bike) versions had the standard diameter, 12" longseatposts. The frames came in coppertone, rootbeer, and cool metallic green.

These exercisers are a wealth of cool parts, but I have never paid over $50 for one, and that was for a rare like new rootbeer brown one with hard to find brown leatherette seat. most I get for between zero and $25. The Schwinn Airdynes have some similar parts, but since they don't have the wheel or the speedometer, I don't really look for them, unless they cross my path for under $10.

As mentioned previously, the exerciser wheels can be liberated from the rubber tire and repurposed. Additionally, the Airdyne fan blades can be removed from the 27 rim, and you have a schwinn fixed gear rear rim... couple it with the 65 tooth sprocket*, and you have a potentially lethal fixie bike.

*note I have a 65tooth sprocket listed in the for sale section - cheap plug!

Someday I'm going to find one of these and use the wheel cover and speedometer with dashboard on a rat bike.

I could use the pedals and chainring...

Latest posts

Back