20" tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feel really stupid but I've tried multiple tires and I just can't seem to figure it out. I'm ratstoring a Huffy lil gypsy for my daughter and I can't find a front tire that fits. They are all to large of diameter when I fill it with air it just falls off. I have a slick in the rear and it fit perfect. I'm just at odds with this thing. I have try multiple tires and try widths Any help would be great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Check what is ISO size of it. ISO for normal 20x2.125 tire is 57-406, that means 57mm wide and 406mm diameter. Yours can be for example 400mm (reffered to as 18") diameter, then it would be 6mm too small.
Basic rule - only trust ISO, and never what inch size states. There are four different 24" sizes, at least three different 26" and so on. I don't know why the former designers and engineers messed the system up so much, but now it is just not reliable.

The general rule of thumb is that fractional sized tires aren't interchangeable with decimal sized tires. So, a 20" x 1 3/4" tire isn't the same as 20" x 1.75". The 20 x 1 3/4 is a Schwinn size and has an ISO diameter (as mentioned by stranger) is 419mm, standard 20 x 1.75 is 406mm. Then, to make everything a little more confusing, there is another 20" size that is primarily for mini-bmx race bikes and recumbents and has a 451mm ISO diameter.

That's the thing I measured the seat diameter and it's 16" or 406mm which according to Sheldon brown it should be a 20" tire.

I guess I didn't measure that. It has to be like 16 1/4 ID.

All the tires you tried must be the Schwinn tires.
Usually someone tries to put a standard 20" tire on a Schwinn rim and it almost fits but won't go the last little bit. The Schwinn size is just large enough that you had to buy their tires. My father would cuss everytime one of those would show up in the parts pile.
There is much more selection using the standard size, for 20" tires and the larger ones also. You'll probably be the same as original for that bike with a 20 x 1.75 tire. ISO 406 as noted above should be easier to find than the other sizes.

Latest posts

Back