20 x 2.30 tire... special rim? or tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I acquired this recently thinking to use it on a muscle bike build. I just noticed a recommendation on the side of the tire. It says "24(+) FIT H/E RIM." Can this be used safely on a garden-variety 20-inch rim, same as 20 x 2.125? and I am guessing the tube out of a 20 x 2.125 will work?

20190305_175233.jpg
20190305_174933.jpg
20190305_174955.jpg

Mountain bike scene has been obsessed with this sort of stuff for a while. The long and the short of it is you'll be fine. Under heavy load or riding aggressively you might get a bit of lateral tire roll, but I can't imagine the bead coming unseated. I've run folding 2.35 Kevlar bead tires set up ghetto tubeless (non UST)on 19mm rims on lift access trails without a problem.

that's what i had hoped. yeah, it's just for pleasure cruises, so no heavy cornering loads. thanks all!

IIRC, I'm running a 26 x 2.35 on a 19mm (possibly a 21mm, but it's pretty narrow). I wouldn't do stunts on it, but it's been fine riding around and dropping off some curbs. The only issue you might have using a 2.15 tube is that the rubber would be stretched thinner so it might puncture more easily, but I wouldn't sweat it. Usually, they list them as being for a range of sizes.

I run 20 x 2.3 and 2.4 tires on standard width bmx rims 30-32mm. Ride skate park and beat them as hard as Im capable. So nice, you can lay the bike way over and they just grab everywhere. I didnt get the bmx monster tire look until i rode them, smooths out my choppy riding style in the few tricks im capable of performing.

I do use new 2.2-2.4 specific tubes, mainly because I hate changing flats on 25/9 geared bikes.
I have standard 1.95 tubes on a different bike with 2.25's and no issues in 2 years.

Deorman nailed it--they're just hook rims, and some older steel wheels are smooth. Fit is exactly the same, they just don't lock into place as tightly. That can become an issue on road bikes, where the pressures get high. For normal cruising...not so much.

Latest posts

Back