2012 Felt MP with Sidecar.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick update...project has been on hold for a few months between work and having to locate some new help to do the finish work. The sidecar and medic box have been painted to match, the coping/trim work inside the sidecar has been hammered down, filled and smoothed. Bike will get a coat to match...single stage flat OD green. Pictures to follow.

Big Question though to the group...The 8 speed hub IS difficult to pedal, and the recommendation from the Wise Men at www.Sheldonbrown.com provided some insights I wish I'd considered way ahead of this build. So to the question(s), does anyone have a tooth count on the front sprocket of this bike handy and are there any thoughts or remarks regarding a smaller front sprocket to change the gearing ratios?

Appreciate any feedback.

Holy crap that is nice.

I had a thought, would it be possible to make the sidecar with pedals that power it's wheel so the rider can help with the pedaling of the bike? Or would that cause the bike to want to pull right too much since the sidecar only has the one wheel?
The suggestion was made to to add a pedal assist...mostly this is going to be for the wife and child to to cruise the neighborhood on long holiday weekends...it does take a little getting used to pedaling the bike unloaded...this project was started on a lark...and has taken on a life of its own. Maybe if there is a next build I will look at the pedal assist...

ok so where does the side car pivot on the bike frame
oh and here is a big one will the guy build me a flat version lol
i just bought a 2012 mp as well and have been trying to find a side car the i can attach an old large ammo box too and yours looks perfect i am not that handy actually my roomates hide the tools lol
You can find scott cason on FB and ask directly, he is supposed to be back in Delaware theoretically in the fall.

As to how side car pivots...not sure that i understand the question. It mounts in three places, on the rear wheel bolt, above the seat stay (just under the seat clamp, and u-bolts on the down tube.

Front wheel steers the whole rig, you have to kind of crab into right turns, and turning left (with the cart unloaded) you have to watch that the cart doesn't come up...still a little R&D needed.

Latest posts

Back