2012 Felt MP with Sidecar.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, to recap…New guy here…Working with Scott Cason out of Dover Delaware on this. He's done some excellent work on both pedal and motorized bikes. Here's an example of his fine work here and here.
So I purchased a Felt MP 2012 on a lark, then found this site…and the rest is more or less history in the making. I outfitted the bike to look like this at first,

with aftermarket handlebar grips, the medical box attached to the front, the ostrich saddlebag, and the bullet LEDs and tail light. Then I got a little antsy and the bike wound up like this at Scott's place.

So here is where we restarted using this as a model for the sidecar design. Link to original http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DuahcoOw1i8/UbViH5nv_XI/AAAAAAAClA0/RKYMMLUFJAc/s1600/DSC_0110.JPG

The first mockups taken by Scott.

I am looking for recommendations on a way to make the cart quicker to release using some type of clamshell clamp on the frame. Other planned integration are Sturmey Archer rear drum/8 speed hub and front drum/dynamo.

Last edited:
Hey Adhoc,

Thanks for posting this. It looks like a great start. I am curious if you have enough clearance between that front connecting strut and the pedals. It's sort of hard to tell from the pictures but just looking at the crank length it almost looks like right pedal will be really close to that connecting tube when the right side crank is pointing forward. Will you have enough clearance for your foot while pedaling? Some other bike sidecars I have looked at have the front connection placed higher up on the front frame tube presumably to give the most clearance to the foot while pedaling. I also found one that connects to the rear chainstay only.

Really awesome project though. I look forward to the progress!!

I think the 8 speed hub will be a must after this mod. You will appreciate the lower 1st gear. I am really happy with my nexus 8.

twospot, thanks for the feedback. I went to take a look at the work last week, and the clearance is close, but definitely there. The link above has all the work thus far. I will try and sort it out a little more by date/event. I will also verify with Scott that everything is copacetic. But thats where we are thus far. There has been a little discussion on FB on what else to add on…you can see in one of the pics that there are already a gaggle of possibilities even before considering Thompson's and BARs.

Awesome! Just checking them out now.

With Flikr after opening the picture you go to the little icon on the lower right hand side that looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it, click that, go to "Grab the html/bb code" Select bb code and medium 640, and just copy and paste the link into your post like this:

Mockup 2
by iminurnot, on Flickr

Luke.

Now that I have my initial post corrected, let me add the rest of the frame build pics. Scott Cason provided all the know how and photographed the work thus far. This is the first stage of the frame build.

These are of the supporting wheel on the cart.

These are the updated buildup of the cart.

There are a few more on the flickr feed here http://flic.kr/s/aHsjPwJGtg

Last edited:
I like your plans and work on this one.
Good luck.

So all the weather on the east coast has delayed things for a little while...but the logjam's been busted and there's been a lot of work.

Scott has been working diligently at Ram's Rod Shop and really fabricating a wickedly robust sidecar.

I got a QuickBrick tire from Amazon for the mockup rim...and Scott experimented with how to mount the cart to the bike, adding a third point up under the seat stay.

I got a Felt fender set from the guys at Motostrano in California...they come pre-shaped to fit the cruiser, so with a little bondo and bending he got it squared away to match.

I also ordered an additional Felt Cruiser Rim from Motostrano, and Scott fabricated a support arm for the rim.

He started wrapping the tub...its heavy, but will carry the family at this point!

and mounted an ammo can on the back with clearance to open without rubbing.

And THIS is how it sits right now.

Would like some feedback on the U bolts currently being used...Any thoughts on how to procure a hinged clamp?

Huge thanks to Rams Rod Shop for providing space and time to make this project go.

There's still work to be done on paint, stenciling, one more ammo can, seat, short windscreen, and drum brakes...Wheels are in at Bikeline in Wilmington now for relacing...getting closer, getting psyched. Grateful for continued feedback...Check out Scotts other big plans .

Last edited:
WOW
Great worksmanship!

no thoughts on the hinged clamp, have seen people use air hose connectors for attaching trailers though. Swivel style fittings might achieve the same effect but I dont know how reliable they would be as a connector.

ok i have a question ( i am a noob ) when you turn a corner does the sidecar wheel stay in contact with the ground
yep. the wheel had to be moved back to be in parallel with the rear wheel on the bicycle to stop the side car wheel from dragging, but it all remains in contact with the ground.

Some new pics of the side car with wrap and rivets compliments of Scott Cason.

Should have a floor, seat, windshield, and some lighting ahead of the weekend...closing in the end, and pretty excited. Wheels were laced with the Sturmey-Archer 8 speed hub and drum brake (rear), and dynamo drum brake up front. May need recommendations on stand light solutions. Thinking this might help. http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html

Last edited:
ok so where does the side car pivot on the bike frame
oh and here is a big one will the guy build me a flat version lol
i just bought a 2012 mp as well and have been trying to find a side car the i can attach an old large ammo box too and yours looks perfect i am not that handy actually my roomates hide the tools lol

Doing pivots is easy tough!
Have a macine shop make split clamp blocks for mounting it to the frame. Make the blocks off center and have 2 holes, one for the bike frame, one for the sidecar arm. Which will have to have a pivot added to them.
P.m. me if you need a doodle, I have a napkin here somewhere!!!

Holy crap that is nice.

I had a thought, would it be possible to make the sidecar with pedals that power it's wheel so the rider can help with the pedaling of the bike? Or would that cause the bike to want to pull right too much since the sidecar only has the one wheel?

Latest posts

Back