2019 SCHWINN PREDATOR TEAM 24 BMX CRUISER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've built up a relationship with the marketing team at Pacific Cycles and they sent me one of the new 2019 Schwinn Predator Team 24 BMX Cruisers. This bike is a part of their new "Classic Collection" series of bikes and is based off of the 1983 version of the Predator. When I say "based off," what that means is that it looks similar to the original bikes. The original bikes had a chromo frame and fork and all of the usual high end BMX components of the day. The new version is made of mild steel and all of the components are generic, low end parts. That being said, it is only $297 on Amazon Prime with free shipping. They are marketing these towards young riders and anyone wanting a retro inspired cruiser.

The top tube is 21.5" and the bike has a 26" standover height. I weighed the bike and it came in right at 30lbs. The welds seem to be decent and the chrome is nowhere near like the original bikes, but it is 2019 and plated in China. They did do a good job on the decal set and from what I can tell so far, the bike rides pretty nice. If you're looking for a budget 24" BMX cruiser that you can ride around the neighborhood or trails/bike paths, this may be a decent option for you. If you get your nose out of joint over Chinese made BMX bikes, keep on rolling by.

predator012.jpg

predator007.jpg

predator009.jpg

predator004.jpg

predator008.jpg

predator010.jpg

predator003.jpg

predator006.jpg

predator011.jpg

Here's my unboxing and review video on Youtube...

Thank you for this review! With parts upgrades it would make an awesome neighborhood cruiser! I’d grab one but I’m waiting for a certain BMX company to unveil their new Classic cruisers (I’ve got friends in high places).

WOW. My brother had an '82 or '83 with that style graphics but in red. We talk all the time about finding him an original, but I know it'll never happen. Now this, on the other hand... gonna light his phone up right now...

Last edited:
I don't know why they didn't just go with chromoly. It is around 30-40% more money, but just for the tubing. It would probably make well under a $50 difference to the final price with the same component set and it would open it up to a whole other market. More kids had Predators BitD than Rippers & Flyers...and SE has a whole business based on pretty much just retro bikes. A cromo Predator would draw some of those same buyers that SE has.

Thanks for the review!

That is cool. I think it will attract more buyers than the banana seat bikes. That fork looks like it would fit a 26" .

I had to dig up this thread as I’m now thinking I’d like to get one of these for my son but then I discovered the not so attractive price increase.

I had to dig up this thread as I’m now thinking I’d like to get one of these for my son but then I discovered the not so attractive price increase.
Yeah, the price had been dropping and dropping. I think it was down to like $239 or $249 and I was waiting for it to go a little further... then it shot up and never looked back. Still kicking myself.

Latest posts

Back