24" Firestone - Tank art options??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The big brown truck will be bringing me this kid soon. Its a 24" Firestone Special Cruiser. I'd been looking for one like this to do for my eleven yr old son. I really like the frame, it has some cool features.
Already got a set of truss rods from ASBOLTNUT. Now I'm in search of a set of red rims. They'll have that classic look with ww tires. I'll probably keep the bars and sprocket, maybe rechrome them. I'm thinking of a dark blue paint kinda like the Hudson Hornet from the movie Cars. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0875.png

IMG_0877.png

Firestone Special Cruiser

Serial #0137208

Model #18039A11

Can someone run these numbers and come up with a model year and also confirm it is what I was told it is... Firestone

Re: Firestone Special Cruiser

While i'm waiting on the bike to arrive... I contacted Jezusjonez to get started on a head badge. Heres a start on our idea. The "F" says it all. I didn't want to put a bunch of small detail in this head badge. I think I'll do the F in red.

redofirejpg.jpg

I got the bike today, and I must admit.... The patina on this frame is awesome! Now I'm torn... Do I hit it with some 500 grit and flat clear it to preserve it OR strip it down to bare metal, check for cracks, and paint it semi gloss navy blue...???? I'm leaning towards stripping it since 1) thats my original plan and 2) the original paint IS pretty rough...

The had badge has some nice patina on it too. You can still make out "Firestone Special Cruiser"

The serial number tag on the bottom bracket is pretty cool!

CIMG1612.jpg

CIMG1611.jpg

CIMG1610.jpg

CIMG1613.jpg

Looks like a Monark built Firestone to me. I say leave the paint as is. That patina is perfect and would look awesome with the red wheels and wide whitewalls.

I'd soak the head badge in a little vinegar to take away a little of the rust so the lettering comes out a bit more then leave the rest of it as it is. I don't know if that would eat the paint too or not though.

Picked up a couple goodies for this build out at Vintage Bike Supply swap meet today.

A nice 24" Monark chain guard.
CIMG1688.jpg

I liked this light because of its smaller than normal size. "Royce Deluxe" badged and it has that cool hooded look too.
CIMG1691.jpg

CIMG1690.jpg

Firestone Special Cruiser

I went ahead and stripped it down to bare metal and have no cracks or pitting whatsoever! I took some detailed pics of the original paint scheme in case I want to recreate it later. Other than that, I don't have much to report as it's in the mock up / decision making mode right now.

I've acquired a set of 24" wheels from "gottahavit". They've been spray painted all black... rims, spokes, hubs, all of it. I doubt I'll leave em that way. I want red rims so I'll probably blow them apart for paint. I have a Bendix red band and and old school Suzue high flange hub that I want to have laced in.

Also got a NOS Royce red & white seat. The 7/8" seat post that came with the frame would only go into the tube about one inch. I think it had a dent in it causing the jam. I have a 13/16" post off a Schwinn that fit the seat perfectly, so I picked up a Wald spacer that made it fit the frame like butter!

Now I'm hung up on fork choice:
- Original for with truss rods ?
- Felt / Monark style springer ?
- OCC triple tree ?
- hmmm....

Well that's where I'm at. I'll post up pics of the mock up shortly. :)
Thanks for looking!

..So I picked up these huge cruiser bars for $12, and chopped em! Recently i've seen two other members do this, and it always looks great. Kinda like vintage drag bars. I may end up cutting another inch off each side one my boy starts riding. Whatever is comfortable to him.
CIMG1729R.jpg

CIMG1733R.jpg

CIMG1730R.jpg

I've been working with Terry aka "JezusJones" on a head tube badge for this Firestone. He had asked me if I was interested in a t-shirt with the badge printed on it. I said, well heck ya, that would be cool!! He said its something he may start doing for any customer who orders a custom badge from him. I'm pretty sure mine was his first go at it since it was such a simple design. The more complicated badges may take a little more to have screen printed, but either way.. I think its very cool to have a t-shirt to represent your bike!

Here is the badge and the t-shirt. Identical!!
shirtnbadge.jpg

Re: Firestone Special Cruiser 24"

Nice cruiser! Should be loads of fun!
rc

These 1982 Sun rims needed some love so I decided to treat them to the straw trick. It worked out real good. The paint I used is Dupli-Color caliper paint (with ceramic). It took a solid day to dry real good, but its very durable and hard. Its also the perfect deep red to complete the "look"..!
CIMG1734R.jpg

So we're going with a bobbed rear and no front fender. I was going to leave the rear fender brace off, but fter getting the fender cut in just the right spot it was real flimsy without the brace. I tried to get the brace to sit as vertical as I could. I got it all mocked up and took it for a spin, and it rides real nice. All thats left is to get the chain guard mounted and paint it!!
CIMG1740R.jpg

CIMG1744R.jpg

CIMG1749R.jpg

CIMG1750R.jpg

Looks good! I have used the caliper paint before and I like it.

Latest posts

Back