24" GT Faux-BMX project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been wanting a 24" BMX cruiser for a couple years now, but I'm cheap. I have been holding onto a set of alloy 24" wheels for this project and looking for a 24" mountain bike frame to turn into a BMX, but the right bike hasn't come around... till now!

My brother-in-law called me after the swap meet in Richmond, VA last Sunday and said he picked up a frame for me. He described it and I knew this was the bike. It's an early '90s GT Bullet kid's 24" mountain bike in chrome.

SAM_0603.jpg

SAM_0607.jpg

He gave $10 for what you see in the photo. Before I ever saw it (had to drive an hour yesterday to pick it up) I had already bought parts from Porkchop to start the transformation to faux-BMX.

Decals are shot. Bike will get on OA bath.

Forgot to mention, I already have a NOS 24" chrome BMX fork (don't remember brand) to go on this.

Decisions: 1 piece or 3 piece crank? CW style bars or other? Grips? Straight or layback post?

Already have: Purple ano canti brakes, purple ano stem, purple ano spoke nipples, purple ano valve caps, new Diamond Back tires.

More purple needed: Seat post binder bolt (forgot to order from Porkchop the other day) small brake parts, brake lever.

Pedals... :?

Found some 3 piece cranks, now I can start looking for 9/16" purple anodized pedals.

They are shiny, but I just sprayed cold water on them and they fogged up. Had to use stripper to remove blue and pink paint.
SAM_0638.jpg

Found my forks:

SAM_0644.jpg

BB bearings cleaned up good, I also polished the crank arms.

SAM_0646.jpg

Frame is in the house now. I'm watching Top Gear and cleaning chrome and polishing.

Did a little mock-up tonight, still working on wheels. Not sure about bars, those are just some I had in the shop, but with the black seat I might be digging this:

SAM_0680.jpg

Outlaw90 said:
i love the idea of building a 24inch bmx out of a mountain bike frame!

Thanks, I looked for a long time for the perfect frame, I just couldn't afford a 24" BMX bike, so this frame for $10 fit the bill. I can deal with the drop outs, most people won't even notice and hey, they're still adjustable.

Motomike said:
Hey yoothgeye! How's this project coming along?

On hold for build off. Porkchop sold their last purple seat post binder and I missed it. :x

Lacing wheels right now with purple spoke nipples.

Both wheels are laced, but one rim is giving me a hard time. The rear is a sealed bearing hub and I lost spacers for it and have to get it on the bike right. The bike has been on my upstairs work stand for months.

I forgot that I got a Pro-Neck purple anodized power disc and a new chainring for this bike. I have everything to finish it except for time and patience on the rear wheel. I guess I need a plastic saddle too, or a short padded one. Here is a crappy photo I just took:

bullet.jpg

Latest posts

Back