24 x 3 tire question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i know a 26 x 3 wont fit my cruiser, so im assuming all these fat tires im seeing on cruisers are 24 x 3? is that how you're fitting them? i'm just assuming because ive never seen these 3 inch tires before this site......

I've got 24x3s front and back on this ballooner bike. It fits ok on the rear but the chain is extremely close. The front there's no room for error so the wheel has to be really true. I can't think of a stock frame you could use 24x6 on.
14-2.jpg

Post the Full picture of that Blue Bike again for him Randy..
I love looking at the side view of that bike.

A Custom Fork / Springer will help with fitting the front 26 by 3

and a Balloon Tired Frame.....
or a BIG old frame with a bit of stretch can work for the Rear
like Loco Joe's Frame here in the picture above...

show us a side view again Loco Joe..
that bike makes me Droool!

Kev.[/b]

even with a springer I had to add washers and longer pivot bolt to make a 24x3 tire fit but it was easy yet still tight and I used a portapower to lightly spread the rear on a prewar Schwinn balloon bike... it wasn't hard just a tight fit
on the front tho a mountain bike fork usually has a ton of room :)
P1010114.jpg

I have a 26x3 tire hahahaha aint no way it fits without major modification

thanks for the info! i was thinking of converting to these on the rrbbo, but decided against it after seeing these bikes in better light. they look AWESOME, but not what im going for. that blue bike is SICK. im gonna pick up a set anyway and use them for my next project. any suggestions on brand of rims, and tires? i like how the felt ones looked.

Here's my version of a 24x3 bike with rear frame widening, the forks on the first one fit perfect. I didn't use a special tool just a 3" [diameter] pipe, small torch and patience.... slowly spread the rear legs ...a little one side then the other, make them even, keep the alignment straight, put in the pipe [A little help from "My little friend" the big HAMMER to "TAP" into place then bend rear legs back to position around the pipe. Bend legs out to remove pipe, then back a little to proper position and DONE :wink: I run 24x3 on the rear of most of my bikes, but the felt co. ones are really hard to get, I'm still going back and forth with the rep at felt to release a few to local shops..ohh ya the smooth tires are electra? fattie-o 24x3s

IMG_0016a.jpg

IMG_0013Cx5-1.jpg

IMG_0019a.jpg

IMG_0037c.jpg

IMG_0026a.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

keep in mind not all 24 x 3 tires are created equal. some when mounted will be fatter than others. tires like the kenda flame when mounted are fairly narow and work in most frames. tires like the felt 24 are very fat and are really ballooned out. they look the best in my opinion and i wanted to use them on my green hawthorne. but they did not fit so i went with the electra fattio tires and they worked great. also keep in mind that the width of the rim dictates how wide the tire will end up being when mounted. i used a felt rear wheel so it made the tire wider and inturn flatter across the top. the front is a standard race 24 bmx wheel with a narrow rim so the tire has a much rounder profile.

I AM SO GLAD I LOOKED AT THIS POST, THESE BIKES ARE BEAUTIFUL!! Thankz

just got my 24" rim for the rear. will be putting on a Schwinn middleweight frame. Not mentioned here but I think Hooch may of said elsewhere the 3G Hoggie G is slimmer. Need the easiest fit without too much frame bending.
The rim seems fairly wide.

Any suggestions?

Hey Post a full pic of that bike with the red banana seat!!!

WOW. Neat stuff.
I am so glad I found you guys!! Okay, I meant that yyzemc sent me over here! :mrgreen:

o.k. Ricky, heres my banana seat bike I built about a year ago, I don't know who built the frame, but the rear felt tire 24x3 fits so perfect that I have to let the air out first before removing or mounting it on the frame. The front is a 26x2.125 8)

IMG_0033a.jpg
:arrow: 8)

Hey dude thanks for the picture, I love the bike!!!!!!!!!!!

This bike below is probably my all time favorite bike of anything that has been posted on this site. The combo of the slant of the head tube, the color, the tires...man, it just shouts super cool hot rod style.

IMG_0013Cx5-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back