26 inch bmx questions for a potential build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am anticipating on a future build up of a laguna frame (no fork)and had a planned on using a set of Tange TRX forks I was able to get. Now a friend of a friend "has" a pair of laguna forks on a schwinn style frame cruiser that a he might want to let go.

First off I need to verify they are laguna forks.

The questions: should i seriously persue the laguna forks for the build? And how do the forks compare to each other in rarity?

Laguna forks were Chromoly. Easy to distinguish by "L" shaped cutout in dropouts. Matching fork will help resale value if that is a concern. Most folks don't get too crazy on their Laguna Cruisers so strength should not be an issue. I have jumped a few curbs on my Laguna but would not do much more. Awesome neighborhood cruisers. You can't go wrong. Would love to see pics.

I will vouch for the laguna forks!
I had a porky buddy (Ron McDonald! No bull!) and he swiped hid Dads laguna. Jumped it like he stole it!

Laguna is the way to go.. You could always put on what you have on now and replace it with the correct Laguna forks when you get it later.. Ride it like you stoled it now till you get the Laguna forks then do the switch.. no since keeping the bike sitting there doing nothing but waiting. Ride it.!!

Agreed; if you're running the Laguna frame and you have a line on matching forks, get'm. Always proper to match the set.

However, if the deal w/ your buddy falls thru, those Tange forks are totally respectable.

Laguna forks are Tange forks just with a L cut in the dropout instead of the holes.If you pass on them hit me up as I really need the correct fork for my Laguna!

Thanks for the input!

I am hoping they are lagunas , just haven't been able to set up a time for a meet and see. With the end of the school year graduations and family obligations, been on the go quite a bit.

As for the TRX forks I plan on keeping those, and run them on the frame because I really like the look, and haven't seen many cruisers with those forks.

Will update.

Laguna forks are Tange forks just with a L cut in the dropout instead of the holes.If you pass on them hit me up as I really need the correct fork for my Laguna!
Are you sure about this? Every Laguna "L" fork I've seen has been moto style, with the tangs dropping below the ends where the axle mounts, kinda like a Bottema, whereas the TRX and many other Tange cruiser forks are either flush or the ends drop below the end of the tangs. I realize that Tange made several different styles of forks in different wheel-sizes, and found some cool pictures on the subject:
Tange-forks-1.jpg

Tange-forks.jpg

I honestly don't know a lot about Laguna's history, and the "L" forks could very well be Tange-built, but I feel fairly certain that the "L" fork is different from the TRX....

I was only referring to the 26'' Laguna . The 26'' Laguna fork is a Tange made fork just with a L cut in the dropout.it is also stamped on the steerer tube.

The laguna fork looks like it is basically the 26 inch TX 1200 champion fork and instead of the drop outs with the progressively larger holes, they have drop outs with an "L" . The welds on the drop outs are similar also 2 on the outside, 1 on the inside.

This pic is not mine, it came up on a google search.

Last edited:
Well the forks were not lagunas. May have been akisu. : ( It would be nice to get some just to pair with the bike, but I'm cool with what I have. Want to start on this build but have a deal with the wife I'll get my daughter's bike done first, before really fooln on another bike for me!

Well the forks were not lagunas. May have been akisu. : ( It would be nice to get some just to pair with the bike, but I'm cool with what I have. Want to start on this build but have a deal with the wife I'll get my daughter's bike done first, before really fooln on another bike for me!

Naw, I think you might be right about them being Tanges. I'd just always thought that he "L" in the forks were, like, a sign of pride. Should've been a "T" instead (Or, possibly, an "A")

I believe there is a pair of 26 inch laguna forks in the for sale(priced a little out of my range) section on the bmx museum website. They do look different than the forks I posted before, the welds are nicer looking.

I hope to get some pics of the frame and bits I have gathered soon.

Latest posts

Back