26" Muscle/cruiser build from the new guy! (DONE!!!!)

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 10 BIKES' started by topnotchlsx, May 27, 2015.

1. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Hello friends! Here is my muscle/cruiser build for fun. I am starting with a cheap Murray Westport I picked up a couple weeks ago for $20 from an old folks home a block away from my house. The bike had been leaning against the place for at least 6 months without moving so I made my move! The rear hub was toast, bars were bent, and fender banged up a bit but it was actually a rider.....wobbly at that but it got the job done. Wheeled it home and aired up the tires and went for a 5 mile ride right away lol. Here is what I am working with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Later that day I threw on some beach cruiser bars I had around and hacked part of the rear fender off as it rubbed. I topped it off with my clown horn for fun!
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I then decided to remove the fenders, tighten the hub, and made a lay back seat post from the old bars. Well, the hub just fell apart and the seat post failed as soon as I got on it....FAIL! That meant it was time to start the build.
    [​IMG]

The plan:
    I want this to have a muscle look and be a great cruiser I can do some wheelies on! It will get some new wheels, tires, triple tree chopper forks, banana seat, and some mini apes if I don't like how the current bars look.

I ordered some bronze colored 26" coaster wheels as a roll of the dice instead of black which I originally planned. Tonight I will order some black forks.

My main goal is to get a set of Jerald Sulky slick tires but we will see how that goes. I replied on a thread and sent an email so hopefully I get a response.

Color wise I will decide as I go but cream or green has been on my mind. We will see. Until then, thanks for checking my build out stay tuned!

2. Big Ape

Big Ape

Yeah brother, I'm 250, so the handlebar seat post idea is wishful thinking! Cantilever frames make great muscle bikes! Don't hold your breath on the Jerald slicks, you would be more likely to get one from someone on this site. They have a lot of rolling resistance, so I would put one on the rear only. BUILD ON! Make Missouri proud.:crazy:

Kevin Kanouff likes this.
  3. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

I just want one for the back and a skinny for the front. I have some 700C roadbike wheels laying around so that would be a cool contrast look.

Big Ape likes this.
  4. Falstaff

Falstaff

Good start,sounds like a cool build.

Those Westports seem to have bad rear hubs,I've rebuilt the one in my bullrat 3 Times... so good choice on new wheels,I'll be following.

topnotchlsx likes this.
  5. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Welcome to RRB and the fun of the Build Off.
    Those Westport are a good solid base to build from.

topnotchlsx likes this.
  6. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

The guy I spoke with who worked at the place said he tightened it multiple times already lol

Falstaff likes this.
  7. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a cool plan!

Luke.

8. Funkme

Funkme

Looks like a great starting point with the good plan in motion...

topnotchlsx likes this.
  9. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Today I blew apart the bike,
    [​IMG]
    Proceded to strip the paint as I could not find anybody with a big enough sand blaster,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I mocked up the frame and chain guard and decided it needed something...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Speed holes!
    [​IMG]
    Much better!
    [​IMG]
    I have a bunch of random hardware saved from previous bikes, motorcycles, engines, cars, ect and have some idea on how to incorporate some of it to the build.
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned, parts should be rolling in asap!

roadwarrior, Chad T, Wildcat and 7 others like this.
  10. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Looks really good with the guard speed holes!

Luke.

11. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Thank you!

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  12. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

The chainguard came out cool - did you use a hole saw? Any trick to it? I don't have too much luck when it comes to modding sheet metal - usually gets bent up.
    BTW, What is the brand of coaster did they run on these Murray Westports? So I can avoid 'em.

13. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Yes, regular hole saw...I didn't even check what size. I drilled it while bracing it on a plank of wood and just took it easy.
    No clue on the hub, Ill try to check tomorrow.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  14. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Some further progress was made the last couple days and I am really excited to be working on this thing. First up, the idea for the seat will be for it to be as low over the rear tire as possible so this OE seat post clamp setup....NOT HOT
    [​IMG]
    It has to go...
    [​IMG]
    Fits the shape of the bike better
    [​IMG]
    I am using some old harley hardware anywhere I can such as the bolt for the new seat post clamp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up is the ugly rear fender mount/brake mount. It is the only squared off piece on the bike and doesn't flow....
    [​IMG]
    I used a 3" exhaust clamp...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I got to practice on my friends Miller Tig for fun. I am no pro so I always love practicing when I can...didn't turn out too shabby!!
    [​IMG]
    While I had the machine at my disposal I looked for other areas to lay some weld.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In further news, I swung by a bike store today to see what they had in the back as the owner parts out junk bikes. I ended up with a full black 700C road bike front wheel/tire/tube combo for a sweet $10!! It will go great on the front end to help with the big and little contrast for the tires. Going for that drag bike look!

Tomorrow am I am going to a big flea market to see what i can find so stay tuned!

15. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

WOW! Never knew a Westport guard could look that good! Nice work and vision on that.
    Sweet work on the frame details too

topnotchlsx likes this.
  16. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Thank you sir! I put some speed holes in a fender today but haven't test fitted it yet but I have a feeling it will pair well with the guard.

kingfish254 likes this.
  17. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Love your work with the seat-post-ectomy and the rear stays!

Luke.

topnotchlsx likes this.
  18. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Wow - looks cool!

topnotchlsx likes this.
  19. Jake Sensi

Jake Sensi

Welcome to the jungle!! Bike is moving along nicely. GTB! PEACE

topnotchlsx likes this.
  20. topnotchlsx

topnotchlsx

Some updates:
    I have been getting a bunch of parts in and trying to complete the look. As I said in my first post I am going for a drag look so I want a big and little tire. The front is a 700C road bike wheel/tire combo and the rear is a cheap cruiser tire that has an old school pie-crust looking sidewall and a flatter surface. It's no Jerald Sulky but it will work for now.
    [​IMG]
    Getting the prickly mold tube things off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After some 80 grit sandpaper work
    [​IMG]
    Quick mock up before primer. The forks and bars will be changed but you get an idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pulled apart and on my tried and true bunford 9000 frame sprayer jig ;)
    [​IMG]
    It is primed and will be painted tomorrow. I have what I hope will be a very cool color planned out so stay tuned!

Joe Conde, gigmata, OddJob and 5 others like this.