27 on a 26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last year I put 26 inch wheels on a bike intended for 27 inch wheels. It worked ok (with small cranks )

This year I wonder if I can do the opposite. I have a perfectly good alloy wheelset from a 86 world sport. Can I put these on a typhoon frame? The frame is coming from a member so I don't have it yet. Will there be clearence issues? If it won't work I still have the afore mentioned 26 inch wheels.
Thanks all

There is a decent size difference between 26 and 27 inch wheels. You'll just have to try and find out. Not sure if your brakes pads will be able to line up with the rims.

Not sure about a typhoon, but many 26" cruisers will take a 27". Even easier than trying it, is measuring.

There is a decent size difference between 26 and 27 inch wheels. You'll just have to try and find out. Not sure if your brakes pads will be able to line up with the rims.
Tried something similar to this. I have an old AMF scorcher (26 in)and had to run a 27 rear rim for a short time, but the rear pads didnt reach no matter what :headbang:. If you have this problem, you could build a bracket for the brake caliper :39:.

Latest posts

Back