28" Elgin Motorbike year and questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked this bike up recently off of here and was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions. First off, been trying to figure out the year. Thought originally it was 1928-1930 but now I'm thinking it's a bit later? I'll try to get the serial number tonight if that would help. Secondly, the chain ring. It's the coffin style which I hadn't been able to find on an elgin, most were the star/snowflake type. I do see this chain ring on Westfield bikes though and oddly enough, an elgin on eBay right now has the same. Is it original to the bike? I'm new to the oldies, appreciate any help/info you guys can give, thanks in advance!
5416f71edb2a897159bb521c2e9000b3.jpg

bcfd410d6bd148ea9f150ab6caf8c427.jpg

I picked this bike up recently off of here and was wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions. First off, been trying to figure out the year. Thought originally it was 1928-1930 but now I'm thinking it's a bit later? I'll try to get the serial number tonight if that would help. Secondly, the chain ring. It's the coffin style which I hadn't been able to find on an elgin, most were the star/snowflake type. I do see this chain ring on Westfield bikes though and oddly enough, an elgin on eBay right now has the same. Is it original to the bike? I'm new to the oldies, appreciate any help/info you guys can give, thanks in advance!
5416f71edb2a897159bb521c2e9000b3.jpg

bcfd410d6bd148ea9f150ab6caf8c427.jpg
Great looking bike no matter what it turns out to be!

Nice bike. If it's later, it couldn't be by much...maybe 1932?
Im just not sure, maybe the serial number will steer us in the right direction. I was trying to go by paint scheme and what I could find online, was hoping the chain ring might be a one year only or something since it seems like an oddity. It does have metal clad wheels.

This is about the closest I could come up with...and it isn't a perfect match...nor is it dated.
LH11_r1507_01.jpg

Can you identify the hub manufacturer? The New Departure model D is generally thought to have started production around 1934. That might help narrow down the year, too.

Until I see some evidence to the contrary, I'll stand by my early-1930's prediction.

This is about the closest I could come up with...and it isn't a perfect match...nor is it dated.
LH11_r1507_01.jpg

Can you identify the hub manufacturer? The New Departure model D is generally thought to have started production around 1934. That might help narrow down the year, too.

Until I see some evidence to the contrary, I'll stand by my early-1930's prediction.
It's a New Departure model "C".
As for the serial number, all I'm seeing under there is S5 at this point.

Last edited:
Well, that's a bonus. The Model C was in production 1928-1933 so, along with its tubular clad rims, your bike is firmly in that window. Like you, I just have a gut feeling that yours might be from the upper-end of that spectrum.

Latest posts

Back