2ND ANNUAL RRB AUCTION BIKE - We need YOUR ideas!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2ND ANNUAL RRB AUCTION BIKE - need ideas'n'stuff!

Hmmm, I can feel your doubts guys... but...
That it IS POSSIBLE to end up with a cool bike has been proved by master custombikebulder Goldammer:

roadbike_2.jpg

^ Maybe a tad too modern for us, but I think overall this is a gorgious, highly original, and very refreshing custom bike. I think Goldammer won a prestigious custom bike trophy with this bike. Saw it on the Discovery Channel.

Ah Herr I see we have the same taste in Fine Builders...and yes he won the the World Championship of Custom Builders in 2008 I believe. Thats one of the reasons I bought the seat I was going to convert one of my gas powered bikes to a cafe style. But heres a site I just love and you have to weed through it a bit but it has a lot of the old motorcycles and the motorized bikes on it. Every brand from the late 1800's on. Just more food for thought.
http://home.planet.nl/~bertknst/motors.html
Terry
ps tad to bit modern...you did have hubless wheels on the Rust Rocket shirt...maybe what you can take from his build is those gorgeous drum brakes..with spokes..lol...just gettin ya fired up...my friend...night

Oh man...
That site is just insane. Soooo many cool bikes.. And I'm not even a motorcycle fan persee. Thanks for sharing.

Goldammer.
I know a lot of so-called tradionalist put him down for being a non-traditionalist. Just like Chip Foose in the car scene. I love traditional stuff, but I also love good design. To me Foose and Goldammer are the perfect mix. They are a category on their own.

I can see that seat of yours ending up on a beautiful caferacer style bicycle.

Hahah, the hubless Rustrocket... It has hubs though... Just not spokes. Well, I just don't like drawing too many details like engine parts or spokes.. :wink:

herr_rudolf said:
rodandcustom1-vi.jpg

^ another one of my ideas:

Make it a tribute to one of the HOTROD milestones.

When I was playing around and graphic-designing the Rustrocket gallerythread it came to me that we could do the same what ROD & CUSTOM Magazine did in the late fifties: The Dreamtruck project: Build a custom based on the ideas of the readers of the magazine. It's exactly what we're doing today!

dreamtruck_2.jpg

I like the thought of scallops on the bike not seen super often. How about a tuck and rolled seat like the old school rod builds sported? Or another thought if this is going to become an on going thing why not alternate frames by year? This year was a guys bike why not do a girls bike next year? The frames ought to be readily available and easier to choose from. well thats my 2cents-Alan

@ dogdart

Cool.

That seat just screams caferacer. Problem is, just as with Jezusjonz' seat, I have no clue about the size of it. It looks kinda big to be mounted on a bike. On the other hand, seeing it with that pedal next to it...
I think we need measurments with the important parts such as the seat.

Love the chainguard. ...the shape that is... I think if we'll do a luxurious ArtDeco style bike, we should use crispy clean parts. Do you think it'll clean up nicely? If we go that direction I can also make ArtDeco stuff. Working with aluminium is my limit regarding bikeBUILDING... ;-) I could make an ArtDeco-style rack, a chainguard, orther small details... (Fenders too, but those would be a pain to ship to the US.) That aluminium stuff is so great to work with. The results are very rewarding.

Here is some stuff I made before (although most of you guys have seen these pics before. So just a reminder...:

sparta_4.jpg

sparta_5.jpg

sparta_3.jpg

atb_57.jpg

mix_124.jpg

mix_119.jpg

mix_127.jpg

mix_125.jpg

^ I LOVE making this stuff ^

@ someguy83

Scallops...
...on a bike is scarce. Your certainly right about that. Reason is. A bike doesn't usually has room for those. The same with flames. It just doesn't look right. Except if you make room for it. On a tank for instance. Or on sideskirts. Raincoatprotectors (How do you call that stuff??) Or ofcourse on Indian-style fenders. Scallops are cool. If applied right, but that goes without saying ofcourse for everything.

Tuck'n'roll.
Yesyes! That's a cool idea. I know a small company who are doing an excelent job of making traditional custom upholstery.
I'll get back on that pretty soon!

Alternate frames..
I like the thought of that. BUT... I think that a girlsbike is far less desirable come auction time. Personaly I have no problems with girlsbikes (half of my builds are girlsbikes eventhough I'm the one riding them...) but I don't think they will do good in the auction. But who knows. It could very well be the perfect christmas gift for the wife ofcourse....
Maybe I should draw one up some day.

Thanks for the input guys!
Right now I'll have to get back at shovelling snow again...

Dogdart that is incredible! But do you have the red vinyl with the metal flake in it like some old diner used to have?
I like all the ideas so far. I really think its amazing that everyone can add a creative viewpoint and it just spawns more and more ideas! Now as a thought would it be too much to do a his and hers matching pair? I know my girlfriend and I both love some of the matching bikes we've seen. Especially Ratfink 1962's bikes that he did for his parents. He did great work on those bikes. Whatever is decided on will be great anyway.

If you guys aren't set on the frame, I could donate this one it's a bit more of a moto style (can't seem to get rid of this thing)

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

Im diggin the cafe' idea as long as its rideable, a couple I've been on bend you over like a taco to reach the bars and pedals at the same time... :p

I always dug this style
honda-cb-750-four-by-2_460x0w.jpg

Dogdart is that a Husqvarna ?? I'm soo jealous.. thats a beauty!!!

@dogdart.
You keep on surprising us! That is an amazing 'collection' of upholstering stuff... Any links to some of your finished examples? THe metalflaked vinyl would be perfect for so many applications: The showrod tribute. The artdeco diner bike. The Ed Roth tribute. Etc...

@ Brunnecustoms
That would be a bit tricky I guess... We'll definately narrow down the list of potential bidders, don't you think? There just aren't a lot of members wanting two bikes at the same time. Maybe there are but lack the funds (or lack of a girlfriend) will probaly hold a lot of potential bidders bak. Ideas-wise were going at an incredible pace but building the actual bike is a whole different story. The first auctionrat looks easy-peasy (look! I'm making up english words as we go...) But it definately wasn't. If memory serves me right Dr Tankenstein and Double Nickle (Bless em) worked their glasses off, up till the last minute. But I very much love the idea though... I hope this auction-thing keeps growin and growing.
Maybe, one day...

@ Schwinnray69
Black = Cool Classic. 8)
We love pics. (read: need)

dogdart said:
I think we should keep in mind , that someone has to actually build the bike on their own donated time , and not make anything too complicated .

So true. Better not underestimate the time/energy/skills/money it will take to the builders to finish this bike out of parts that most of the time probably won't fit... I think we should stand back and look at the simplicity of the Rustrocket once in a while. But I think, at this stage it's a good idea to let our imaginations run wild for a bit. It just generates more ideas.

@ Social Jack
That is cool man... I like that frame. Perfectly fit the discription of The Auction Rat so we'll definately keep you in mind. We're not set on any frame yet. The one which gonna end up as our platform will be the one most suitable. What kind of frame is it? 26"? 24"? I don't know why but I prefer 26". Anything smaller I considder a kidsbike. I'd never think of building a 24" bike for myself. But than again, I won't have to ride the bike and I've seen so many cool examples of 24" inchers.
What do you guys think?

The Rustrocket was a 26" frame with 24" wheels...

@ Scrumblero
That's a mighty fine tough looking bike! Would love to see a bicycle version of that. I think it's doable, but it's hard to make it not look like a motorless moped I guess... What I love about this bike is all of it's bulkyness is below the seatbottom. Everything above the top of the wheels is very tight and quite elegant...

Rideability.
For myself, I find that very important. For the auctionrat not so. The main thing is: The has to bring up a lot of money while looking good doing that. If you want rideabillity: A caferacer is much like a boardtracker. But a boardtracker has a low seat that can be put in a more rideable position. Just something to think about.

Would be darn cool to end up with a bicycle version of the bike you've posted.
8)

---

Can't wait to start on some sketches...

herr_rudolf said:
@ Social Jack
That is cool man... I like that frame. Perfectly fit the discription of The Auction Rat so we'll definately keep you in mind. We're not set on any frame yet. The one which gonna end up as our platform will be the one most suitable. What kind of frame is it? 26"? 24"? I don't know why but I prefer 26". Anything smaller I considder a kidsbike. I'd never think of building a 24" bike for myself. But than again, I won't have to ride the bike and I've seen so many cool examples of 24" inchers.
What do you guys think?

herr_rudolf,

It's a 26" frame but 24X3s are tight at most 1/4" with the axle all the way back in the dropout. It could be spread easily for a looser fit I think. Some more pics mocked up with 24X3s, a real 24" bike is very cramped for an adult, this one has a top tube length of 22". The only peculiarity is the fame was notched on the chainstay to fit a 52T sprocket.
IMG_1641.jpg

Not exactly centered but an idea of the tightness
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg

I think Socal_jack's frame would be a good unique frame for a starting point. It couldbe lowered and streched by cutting the dropouts off and welding new ones to the back side of the seat stays a dropped blade fork like I'm doing on my present build viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33442 A flat weathered number plate in the tank area would be cool. Salt flats or drag bike.

dscf2392w.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-16

@ social jack.
Thanks for the sideviewpic and the info. Seeing the frame mocked up with wheels and fork makes it a whole lot more easier to visualize the whole bike. This combination is absolutely perfect for a motorcyclestyle bike. Like a caferacer or a boardtracker. And probably more styles. It's a VERY versatile frame. With those 24/3inchers it sooo resembles that caferacer Scrumblero posted... If we find people within one year that are willing to donate such MATCHING tires and wheels, this caferacer-idea could easily be turned into reality 8)

@ X204.
Thanks for the pic. Nice stance. Love the way you lowered the bike. It's probaly the equivalent of 'channeling the body' in hotrod terms: Lower to the ground without losing ridablilty. Could be applied to any style I guess. (Except for maybe a gasserstyle bike...)

---

@ everybody.
We're not at that stage yet but IF you got parts your willing to donate please post clear pics from the 'right' angles. For instance: Sideview for an overall view, detail shots to see how the tubes flow, or how they are attached. If there are any peculiar things on any part please also include a pic of that. Measuremenst are also very welcome!!!

socal_jack said:
herr_rudolf said:
@ Social Jack
What do you guys think?

herr_rudolf,

It's a 26" frame but 24X3s are tight at most 1/4" with the axle all the way back in the dropout. It could be spread easily for a looser fit I think. Some more pics mocked up with 24X3s, a real 24" bike is very cramped for an adult, this one has a top tube length of 22". The only peculiarity is the fame was notched on the chainstay to fit a 52T sprocket.
IMG_1641.jpg

Not exactly centered but an idea of the tightness
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg
what fork is that? Does the 3" fit OK??

Latest posts

Back