3 1/2 miles into my 8 mile work commute.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...argh!!!!!!!

flat.jpg

I looked at the clock, called the wife and asked if she could run me a bike, and I continued. My leasurely 45min ride became a 20 min mad dash on a 79 Mongoose thats geared for anything but highway use! :x

I can ALMOST guarantee no flats forever on any tire if you do the following:
(1) Get a "thornproof" tube
(2) Fill with Slime
(3) Install in tire with a Mr. Tuffy or Slime liner

Thorn-resistant tubes do a pretty good job for me, or mr tuffy strips in at least one of my bikes.

But I also have a wrench, screwdriver, tire lever, and patch kit in my bookbag. Good to be prepared. At least you had a backup bike. That has saved me when I was running late. Good luck!

That sucks mate.

I ran thorn proof tube in my old mt bike, had bugger all flats with em. Another good option is to cut the valve out of a dead tube and use that as a liner - nice and cheap :wink:

I have my best luck just avoiding dried out tires and using branded tubes that are correctly sized, I also carry a flat kit most of the time. Still sucks, just not as much.

I carry flat-fixing stuff with me all the time. Still sucks, but at least I don't have to call for help.

Note that vintage cruisers are not the ideal bikes to fix flats on. Use quick-release skewers and CO2 cartridge inflators, and things can get fixed pretty quick. But it takes me a half hour to fix a flat.

bigj said:
I can ALMOST guarantee no flats forever on any tire if you do the following:
(1) Get a "thornproof" tube
(2) Fill with Slime
(3) Install in tire with a Mr. Tuffy or Slime liner

IF you do ALL THREE of the above things you won't have a flat.

Actually i was looking at my local walmart and had to laugh but it still is a great idea. There are tubes that are solid foam they look like inflatable tubes. but they are just a solid foam composite that doesn't have air. They come in 20", 24", and 26" sizes. They run like $20-$25 but might out-weigh the risk of getting a flat on the way to work.

i dont go anywhere without an extra tube, a patch kit, a small pump, and a few tools.

i live in a big dirty city where flats are a part of life.

it was funny though....
i was on a ride with my buddy and we saw two spandex roadies on $4k carbon bikes stopped on the side of the road.
we asked if they needed help.
you guys have a patch kit?
ummm, yeah.

turns out one of the dudes owned a bike shop!
they didnt want the weight....heh.

just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back