3 mile bike ride today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got off early today and me and my youngest son went on a bike ride he rode his diamond back joker and I rode my american schiwnn was a good day I needed it but dang this bike is geared low thought I was going to die lol
bf396fd095f0f2f91859f704c2997351.jpg
c025abed4d7623ea285d7806b9f69053.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chainring looks like a 45T, so it's fairly small. I'd guess the rear cog at 18T, so the ratio is 2.5:1 Are your bearing cones on the rear wheel adjusted right? Anything that might cause drag? Bottom bracket too tight?

I'd guess your seat is too low. You should sit high enough so your legs are almost fully extended when pedaling. Makes it much easier.

Hate to say it, although correct for the bike, those seats ain't too comfortable either. I had a tough bike to pedal as well, then I changed to a 2 to 1 ratio (44 to 22). Pedaling is much easier, but I think a 2 speed would make things just right. Either a Bendix 2 speed power brake or a kickback. You might want to think about some of those options. Also are the tires properly inflated? Sorry for asking that, but sometimes we forget.

Nope made it easier to take off just makes me have to work harder at top speed is all. Bike rides great now .thanks all for the great input.

I think your AMF sprocket is a 46, so you have 46/18 now, just about right. Maybe a 2 speed w coaster will suit you perfectly.

Sorry than that typo it was a 16 and went to 18 gear. Went up not down .

No sweat, I honestly didn't even consider the possibility of the typo, which is my fault. Sometimes gear ratios do get confusing, so I just thought I'd point it out in case. Definitely wasn't meant as a dig, though.

I like 36 x 18 or even 30 x 22 for my heavy old single speed cruisers. We have a lot of hills. Anytime you go away from Lake Superior it is up hill. The Mississippi is worse, really long steep hills there. Virginia/Kentucky around Norton and the Badlands of S. Dakota all kicked my butt in years gone by. I don't think I could ride the Northern Mississippi River valley, Virginia/Kentucky or the Badlands anymore even with 28 x 23. I use 36 X 18 for most riding on a heavy cruiser and 30 x22 if I know I am going to go home from a ride on a route that is up hill and steep for 7 blocks. I use 44 x 18 on my lightweight single speed road type bike. I think it all depends on your age and conditioning. I am in fair shape for 69 so I go with lower gearing to compensate. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, but then I look at my progress and know I could not walk as fast as I am biking so that makes me feel better. I have friends that are 75 and they bike on tandems. They have a high tec tandem mountain bike and a custom built expensive tandem road bike. They use them a lot, which gives me hope for the future. He is the pilot and she is the copilot.

Latest posts

Back