3-SPD hub help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I came across a bunch of 2 & 3 speed hubs. I don't remember off hand which were coaster brake and which weren't. I'm interested in using one on my RRBBO9 bike but don't know which is good, better & best. Look at the list below and let me know what you think is best to worst in that order? It can be from personal experience or something you heard from your sister's friend's cousin's ex-boyfriend......

1. MBI RG2575
2. Sturmey Archer S2C 2-Speed Coaster Brake
3. Sturmey Archer AW
4. Shimano 3CC
5. J.C. Higgins 50320
6. Sturmey Archer TCW III
7. Shimano SG-3530

Re: 3-APD hub help

Personally my favorite hub is the Sturmey Archer 3 speed, just a great hub, great sound, and lasts forever with proper maintenance. Some of the other hubs I have never heard of so I don't know about them.

1. MBI RG2575
never heard of it
2. Sturmey Archer S2C 2-Speed Coaster Brake
never heard of it
3. Sturmey Archer AW
great hub
4. Shimano 3CC
Okay hub, I'd give it an 8 of 10
5. J.C. Higgins 50320
never heard of it
6. Sturmey Archer TCW III
another great hub
7. Shimano SG-3530
pretty decent but I still like Sturmey Archer better.

For cruisers I prefer the shimano 3cc, I know the sturmey is a better hub but coaster internally geared ones get pricey.

Interesting; I was going by what was written at sheldonbrown.com, which indicated that the 3CC was neither particularly durable or reparable.

Thanks to bad research on my part, I had thought that SG-3530 was another name for Nexus; instead, I got an orphaned (cartridge?) hub missing a non-turn washer.

Latest posts

Back