3-Star Delusion - finally an actual ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 3-Star Delusion - of bars & saddles...

As a side note, I REALLY like the look of that rear tire without a fender.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - Finally an update!

I hope you still use the skirts. I really like the idea of skirts with no fender.
WP_001361_zps25613e09.jpg

Re: 3-Star Delusion - of bars & saddles...

I'm still planning on the skirts, but I have to trim them a bit to make them fit right. Also, they don't fit as well as they did before after I widened the chainstays. The left one sat on it before reasonably well, but now less so. I'll figure it out though...

Re: 3-Star Delusion - skirting the issue...

More on the skirt fitment. As shown above, the left side skirt sort of fit up reasonably well. The right side, however, really didn't play well with the chain guard. The seem to sit lower on the Columbia frame then they did on their original Higgins host. As a result, the left hangs below the chainstay and the right one overlaps the chain guard a bit. So a bit of trimming is in order to get them to fit.

After overlaying the skirt over the chain guard, I marked it out and proceeded to cut it.
WP_001442_zps4c9373ca.jpg

I cut it in the notched fashion to give it some mounting tabs on the bottom, since looses its lower mounting features in the cut.

Rough notching to clear the shape of the chain guard:
WP_001443_zps8d4eb299.jpg

With a bit of grinding with a drum sander bit in the Dremel, I shaped the tabs and the notching. Using a brass ball peen, I flared the notched area subtly to get it sit over the curved cross section of the chain guard.

Next comes the fender. The way these skirts fit on the frame, they may hang lower, but they still stick up high enough to prevent the fender from sliding under the fender mount bridge (or top of the seat stay horseshoe, however you want to define it). Also, if it did, the fender would stick down too low under the chain stays. So, I sectioned the fender to get to fit. So, there will be a lower section and an upper section, above and below the seat stays. Here's the lower section fitted:
WP_001444_zps8f318bfa.jpg

After that, I broke off and laced up a wheelset for the road bike I'm also building:
WP_001445_zps473667fd.jpg

Velo Orange polished rims, high-flange hubs, DT Swiss spokes and a Shimano cassette. I elected to use a 11-28 nine-speed instead of a ten to avoid dealing with expensive and fussy chains, as well as shifters...

Great work on the skirts and fender!
The vents in that skirt play really well with the accents on the chainguard.
Way to go man!

Good choice with the mustache bars, mounted either way.

Thanks guys.

This picture really belongs above, but oh well. Sectioning the fender to fit over the stays:
WP_001449_zps1fac5e78.jpg

And here, I'm notching the left side skirt to fit over the chain stay and clear the kickstand:
WP_001451_zps5425a95c.jpg

I still need a photo of this side fitted up. A little work with a small sanding drum and it looks pretty good, fits well. Dremels are such handy tools...

You might have the impression at this point that I'm sectioning the fender to fit the full fender on, as shown in an earlier photo. But you might recall that I wanted to leave the BermMaster exposed. I'll disclose my plan (or at least part of it). With a cut-cut here and cut-cut there, another piece of the fender falls away:
WP_001452_zpsda9a0fa6.jpg

Here it is trimmed up and fitted:
WP_001454_zps9c15fc61.jpg

WP_001455_zps917f2ecd.jpg

I am doing a little more with this yet, but I'm not yet at liberty to say what just now...

I like the way it is coming together multiple curves supporting each other leading the eye on to...

I was so hoping that you would put a bik spike on the back fender like that, but it turned out even cooler than what was in my mind.
This build keeps bumping it up a notch with each bit that you do.
Keep it coming!!

Thanks. Little by little, it takes shape. That's good, because the ideas are only forming little by little... Last year I had a plan in advance and stuck fairly close to it. This year, I'm sort of letting take shape on its own. I really wanted the point to extend farther aft, but there was a mounting hole in the top of it for the Higgins rack that poked through right were I wanted to be. Since I don't have a way to fill the hole and retain the chrome plating under the paint, it trimmed it short of the hole. But, as I said, I'm not done with this yet. Now that the fender skirting is figured out, I can start sorting out the other body panels that I'm planning...

expjawa said:
Thanks guys.

This picture really belongs above, but oh well. Sectioning the fender to fit over the stays:
WP_001449_zps1fac5e78.jpg

And here, I'm notching the left side skirt to fit over the chain stay and clear the kickstand:
WP_001451_zps5425a95c.jpg

I still need a photo of this side fitted up. A little work with a small sanding drum and it looks pretty good, fits well. Dremels are such handy tools...

You might have the impression at this point that I'm sectioning the fender to fit the full fender on, as shown in an earlier photo. But you might recall that I wanted to leave the BermMaster exposed. I'll disclose my plan (or at least part of it). With a cut-cut here and cut-cut there, another piece of the fender falls away:
WP_001452_zpsda9a0fa6.jpg

Here it is trimmed up and fitted:
WP_001454_zps9c15fc61.jpg

WP_001455_zps917f2ecd.jpg

I am doing a little more with this yet, but I'm not yet at liberty to say what just now...
Nice, REAL REAL NICE....

love the look man SWEEEEEEEEET :D

<< haha!! ouch.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - of fins, skirts and scoops...

Thanks guys. As I said, that wasn't the end of the fender situation. In order to keep the thread current and promote rampant speculation, I present this crappy teaser image:
WP_001460_zps0637fd18.jpg

Latest posts

Back