3-Star Delusion - finally an actual ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 3-Star Delusion - "everything works" edition

That's a tough discussion to answer. When you look at how many voters there are compared to the number of builders, it's hard to say if exposure has much to do with it or not. As builders, I think we typically follow the build threads more so than the observers have because we are wrapped up in the build off for the duration. I do think in the end a large number of votes are cast based on that ONE photo (or just the FINISHED photos) with no viewing of the build thread. It would be cool if we could have an additional "Builders Choice Award" that only builders could vote on. It's all been discussed in the past though. The voting am what it am, just like Popeye.

Well, I guess either way, things will be what they be. It will be interesting to watch regardless.

I found where had stashed my pair of black RRB stickers. So, I applied them appropriately, I think:
WP_001660_zpsbd07eeb7.jpg

I think the black looks good on the paintwork, and is relatively subtle (believe it or not, I prefer to go for subtle rather than over the top). So, one of those on either side a white one on each of the wheels, that should get the message across...

Machine Age Victim said:
Or, allow builders twice as many votes. You can spread them around or double up on your favorite. That way your choice carries a little more weight.

As a watcher and non builder (so far) I think that would be a good way to reward all of you good people who have put in the time and effort.

I am sure there are a few areas that unless you have tried to achieve the same thing - us watcher's don't understand how special the result and method getting there is.

So here is a vote for extra votes for builders if that helps.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - cruise night

I took the 3-Star and my '38 Colson-Firestone to a popular local cruise night yesterday after work. These pictures were taken early, before it filled in. As the evening went on, the place got really busy with people, cars and motorcycles everywhere. The bikes actually got a fair amount of attention.

WP_001662_zpsb5d07720.jpg

WP_001663_zpsaa9bdabf.jpg

WP_001664_zpsd5eb4b8b.jpg

WP_001665_zps4e6cdbe8.jpg

WP_001674_zps508f10e5.jpg

Re: 3-Star Delusion - Final Photos

Here are my final "official" photos of the finished bike. Unfortunately, I miscalculated the time shift to Central Time, so I was about a 1/2 hour too late to post them in my finished bike thread. At least there are some halfway decent shots there already. These are the first of 3 dozen photos from yesterday, which is about a 1/4 of how many I took. Anyway, here they are for your viewing pleasure...

IMG_0519_zps449cb02d.jpg

IMG_0523_zpsa08ae03a.jpg

IMG_0525_zps87b023eb.jpg

IMG_0526_zps6fce3fb5.jpg

IMG_0528_zpsf13e92f9.jpg

IMG_0530_zpsd6cfa022.jpg

IMG_0533_zps624a49b4.jpg

IMG_0536_zps63f8099f.jpg

IMG_0538_zps41ab28fb.jpg

IMG_0546_zps0a417e8b.jpg

IMG_0548_zps9589bee2.jpg

IMG_0549_zps770b972c.jpg

Great set of photos there buddy!
I love your attention to detail.
Good luck!

I use PayPal :p

tvc15 said:
Congrats on a really kick-**** build... your metalwork was top gun and the overall look and theme is first rate. It's a killer bike dude!

Thanks! I'm kinda surprised myownself how well it came together. Certainly much better than I first envisioned. It turns out that its not a bad bike to actually ride either, as long as I can put the seat a reasonable height (which isn't the case in the official photos). The seating position isn't too much different than a touring bike. The gearing combination makes its heft and tire drag easy to manage and the big tires cushion the ride a bit.

Told you that your build rocked!!!

Well, it's doing better than I would have guessed. It's been running at about a 1:2 ratio with yours, though, so tell me where you want your decal set sent... :mrgreen:

Re: 3-Star Delusion - A minor update

I've had some issues with the chain rubbing inside the guard while riding around the neighborhood. With the chainring pushed way out so the chain line clears the tire, the clearance inside the guard was minimal. I'd tried tweaking its position, and could get the front to stop rubbing, but the rear would rub the tire. I was getting an occasional groaning noise out of it as a result. So, I removed the chain guard last night to see if I could modify it some. At first, I thought that I'd have to remove all of the fender and skirting, since that sort of builds off of the chain guard. However, there's enough hardware in place that it's self supporting, and the chain guard can be slipped out forward. The bike with the guard removed:
WP_001757_zpsa06e3122.jpg

I was able to rebend the front mount bracket for the guard so that it stood farther off from the frame. This helped the chain ring clearance. But it seemed to roll the guard a little closer to the tire at the rear, so I wound up cutting a notch in the top of it. That's something I'd considered before and had marked out on the part, but decided to try getting away without doing. In the end, though, the knobs on the Berm Master still contact it, so the notch became necessary:
WP_001758_zps5a52d577.jpg

Its not the best picture of the cut out, but gives you the idea. Its hidden under the skirt when assembled, so it isn't visable. I was concerned about cutting up a nice original part, but I've already drilled holes in it, and I don't expect it to leave this bike as it stands anyway... I'm planning on taking the bike out on a short, 9 mile club ride tonight. It should be interesting, maybe I'll get a couple photos of it in action.

Re: 3-Star Delusion - A minor update

You know you have wicked tires when you have to notch your chainguard!!
Have fun on your ride!

Latest posts

Back