3 yellow stripes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was selling one of mine that was rebuilt and working correctly, with nice chrome, I would not take less than $100. For an untested, original condition hub that hasn't been rebuilt, I would not pay over $50. You can get burned on old original hubs that haven't been serviced. Lots to go wrong in one of those kickbacks. Gary
DSC03616.jpg

Bendix made those triple band 2 speed hubs. Those red and yellow ones have the same ratios, normal and low gear. The blue bands have normal and high gear, they are good for 20" bikes. Between the red and yellow, there was a difference on brakes. here's some good info from trfindley website:

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

Thanks everyone! So is it safe to assume that if it shifts and stops then its in good working order or is there something else to do to test it?

That means that I just tagged my self in this thread since I find that its an interesting subject and I will now get email notification when somebody post

B607 said:
If I was selling one of mine that was rebuilt and working correctly, with nice chrome, I would not take less than $100. For an untested, original condition hub that hasn't been rebuilt, I would not pay over $50. You can get burned on old original hubs that haven't been serviced. Lots to go wrong in one of those kickbacks. Gary
DSC03616.jpg

That is one of my favorite pics to see pop up here. Gary was spot on with his price estimates.

highship said:
Thanks everyone! So is it safe to assume that if it shifts and stops then its in good working order or is there something else to do to test it?

I would go ahead and rebuild it. They are not difficult and it is cool to see how the internals make it work. Plus new grease will help keep it rolling for another 50 years. Here is a thread covering rebuilding red and yellow (blues are built the same as the yellow). There are some parts that are interchangeable between all three, but not nearly all of them.

Latest posts

Back