30s cleveland welding bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twinbar01.jpg

pretty sure its a hawthorne frame, it may look rusty but its nothing damaging, just age the bike rides smooth. Heck it already looked like a ratrod no need to change it. The lady i got it from only wanted 40 bucks, said it would make a great lawn ornament. I think it will clean up nicely, it has hub shiners on it so the new departure skiptooth hub in the back shines like new. here are some more photos

pretty sure its a hawthorne twintube frame
twinbar02.jpg

loving the seat :)
twinbar03.jpg

and here is the confusing part, anyone hear about this company??? i know a bunch of prewar bikes were rebadged as shop bikes for certain companies so im assuming the same was done for this.
twinbar04.jpg

the headtube on the bike is insane, its built like a tank :D

that is just awsome!!!
so... are you going to make it yard ornament??? :D
lol... some people just don't understand...
i know tru-test were a hardware store at one time...
they may still be around...

ponytailmike
mike

ponytailmike said:
that is just awsome!!!
so... are you going to make it yard ornament??? :D
lol... some people just don't understand...

haha yea i had to hold back my laugher when i heard that.

this bike has a loving new home indoors now :)

What you have is a frame built by Monark not Cleveland Welding (they produced five-bar frames but they are quite different). Monark is the same company that produced the Silver King Aluminum frames.

The model you have was generally referred to as the Superframe and is also known as a five-bar. Monark sold bikes to several second tier distributors, Montgomery Ward was one of these and apparently some were sold to whoever marketed bicycles as Tru-Test. I have also seen Colson bicycles marketed under that brand badge.

I question that the bike may have been assemble from parts of a Snyder built Hawthorne as that is likely where the chain ring, fenders, and front fork came from. None of those parts are of the type supplied by Monark.

As you say, it has great patina as it sits. All the replacement parts are from the general period of the frame so it may have had a early Monark springer fork that broke and was replaced in the day.

Check out this post for a similar frame that just changed hands.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12777

It is a similar frame that Monark sold through Montgomery Ward but will not take a tank. Your bike will accept a tank and is essentially the same frame as depicted restored. I should also note that your bike has the unique Monark breakaway stem originally available on these bikes.

Altogether a good find at a great price, especially considering that these bikes are prone to frame failure and often are found broken or bent.

Phil

wow phil, thanks for all the info!!

i question the frame being hawthorn because the lugging on the headtube, the decals from what i could make of them looked similar to the hawthorne frames i saw tho.

mystery solved :D

Glad to help, your bike is a very cool find.

By decals I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referring to the paint patterns, the darts on the frame would be similar on most Monark models independent of who they were supplied to. If you are referring to patterns on the fenders, I believe they may be from a Hawthorne.

To complete a thought I’ll add that Hawthorne is just the brand/badge name used on bikes sold by Montgomery Ward. Wards themselves didn’t make bicycles; they were supplied by several manufacturers, most commonly H. P. Snyder, Cleveland Welding and Monark. Five-bar variants were produced by each of these manufacturers and each is discernable by several characteristics, The Monark frames are the only ones that have continuous tubes running under the crank hanger and use the sleeve lugs at the head tube.

As I mentioned in the post about the Wards frame, the Wards five-bar frames have a curved lower top tube and do not have the shoulders pressed into the seat stays at the rear fender bridge.

Phil

perfect patina!!!!!! :D

Latest posts

Back