30's Huffman Build Off #8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. Here is a shot of a Huffman Airflyte frame I picked up for $30, sold the 1970's wheels that were on it for $15, so now I have a $15 frame.
It has a burst in the seat tube, near the bottom bracket, I assume from internal ice at some point. I bought a rusty crank set for it from an old Hibbard motorbike frame. I plan on working on it today, since there's 6 inches of snow on the ground.
I've put together several bikes, but this will be my first Rat Rod Bikes build. Looking forward to it.
-Scott

Welcome to RRB and BO8. Awesome frame and ring.
Good luck.

Out of the fire. The nut came free with a squirt of WD-40. While it was in the oven, I brushed the stem. The nickel was all rusty, but got a nice black gun barrel finish. Now I'm going to try it on the cranks & ring. Then the bars. I plan on rubbing old motor oil on these parts to help preserve & patina them.

You should crop this photo and make it your avatar.

IMAG04001.jpg

Thanks Kingfish, I might do something like that.

I finished the bars (I used some wider ones I had laying around) and cranks then started messing with the fork.
The plan is to build a tank for it and some type of springer or truss system in the front. A headlight too.
I also need to mend that burst on the seat tube.
Got some double drop center hoops to lace to a set of New Departure blackout hubs.
Snow mostly melted, took a mock up shot.

I'm lovin' it... When I saw the crank on the wood stove, I thought, what a great idea for a cover for a wood stove..... :D

Thanks. My stationary grinder brush does a cool job on rusty, pitted metal.
I used it on the top of my forks to remove all the paint and lightly over the rest of them to remove rust and loose, flaky paint.

[/U

[url=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/smashsquatch/media/IMAG0262.jpg.html]

I've been thinking of a head light, but might just use this fork lamp instead, depending on the springer or truss front end (not designed/built yet). Or both!!

I love the patina on the crank! Heck , I love the whole bike so far! Gonna watch this build
:mrgreen:

Well, I haven't been able to do much fabrication lately because of my job ( I teach industrial design classes to college students), but school just let out so that is about to change. But I have been messing with some other bikes, so I thought I'd post some shots from the weekend of those bikes while I gear up to start cutting up some metal...

'53 cycletruck

Took the box off, next to my old '54 Chevy

Took the Iver Johnson out too.

Me & the girlfriend went out on Mother's Day. Me on the '53 Straightbar, She on her '36 Hawthorne.

I tried mocking up these paperboy hooks, but didn't like them anywhere on the frame.

I finally got to get in some time tonight. I had some repop Torringtons and up graded the bolts (the ones that come with are too small and the wrong type of bolts altogether). Had some walnut too & made new replacement blocks.

checking the fit of the bolts in the holes.

After I cut the bevels on the tablesaw & rubbed it down with black grease.

Assembled

Latest posts

Back